Under the supervision of the Chief Legal Officer, coordinate and execute administrative duties and legal support of the Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority (PWSA) Legal Department.
- Act as the first point of contact for the Legal Department including answering phone calls, and greeting and directing visitors
- Arrange, coordinate and schedule meetings, appointments, conference calls, meeting rooms, travel schedules and reservations
- Prepare and file legal documents, filings, and related correspondence
- Draft, edit, and proofread internal and external correspondence
- Collect, review, redact, and organize documents and information for attorney and paralegal review
- Manage, organize, and maintain filing system of all legal documents including, but not limited to, filings, records, contracts, and agreements
- Draft, order and track departmental expenditures, purchases, and purchase orders
- Manage mail on behalf of the Legal Department
- Notarize documents on behalf of PWSA
- Prepare and serve PWSA lien and related debt collection filings
- Provide support as it relates to the general administration of contract, litigation, and legal processes within PWSA
- Prepare memos, spreadsheets, and internal tracking systems for the Legal Department
- Support and assist with Board and Committee meetings; Prepare agendas, record/transcribe meeting minutes, and facilitate meetings as needed
- Conduct research related to various legal actions including, but not limited to, public records and court docketing system
- Learn various PWSA business systems as may be needed
- Independently interact with and maintain positive and productive working relationships with internal and external customers
- Perform other related tasks and projects as assigned or required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of legal documents and terminology
- Knowledge of electronic filing, signature, and document management systems
- Knowledge of court procedures and records
- Strong organizational, planning, and interpersonal skills; strong ability to maintain confidentiality
- Strong technical, analytical, and communication skills.
- Excellent administrative skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 and extensive knowledge of general office procedures, practices, and equipment.
- Ability to maintain positive and productive working relationships with all levels of internal staff, board members and public officials, as well as external parties
- Establish and maintain accurate records and prepare reports and correspondence.
- Ability to multitask, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
The following requirements list the minimum education/training/experience required to qualify for this job. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be accepted.
- Associate degree in Legal studies, Political Science, or a related field.
- One to two years of related experience as a legal secretary or legal assistant.
- Certification from an accredited Paralegal program or certification from legal secretarial program a plus.
- Notary public required or must become a notary public if selected for position
Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
Applicant must have permanent residency in Allegheny County at time of appointment and remain a permanent resident throughout employment with the PWSA. Verification of Allegheny County residence is required at time of filing application.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED / RECEIVED
No direct reports/ Receive direct supervision from the Chief Legal Officer.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands consist of walking, climbing stairs, finger movements including fine dexterity and coordination, hearing conversation, seeing near and far, and speaking clearly. Frequently bending, stooping, repetitive leg and arm movements, lifting up to 25 lbs.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to a moderate or quiet noise level in the office work environment. Subject to remain on duty beyond normal hours or during emergency situations or other extensive periods.
Employment may be contingent upon the results of a post-offer (initial employment or promotion) physical examination performed by the Authority's examining physician.
Employment may be contingent upon the results of a post-offer (initial employment or promotion) drug screening. Continued employment may be subject to drug, and alcohol testing conducted without advance notice and without individualized suspicion.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION:
Ability to successfully pass a thorough investigation consisting of a criminal history check, verification of prior employment and performance, reference, and credentials checks, and in some cases credit history.
Applicants are subject to a System for Award Management (SAM) or any successor system search as maintained by the General Services Administration (GSA) to ensure compliance with federal procurement and non-procurement programs.
Applications: You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application. If you have questions regarding your application, please contact the Human Resources Department at:
PWSA Human Resources Department
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
An Equal Opportunity Employer: The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority (PWSA) is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based on any legally protected statuses, including, but not limited to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy status, or veteran status. PWSA is committed to providing candidates with reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities during our recruiting process; if you need assistance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-225-8800.
Position: Legal Assistant
Application Deadline: Until Filled
- Pay Type Hourly
- 1200 Penn Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15222, USA