Water Treatment Plant - Stationary Engineer
The Stationary Engineer will start, operate, and maintain low/high pressure boilers, as well as a high service pump station.
• Operates and maintains low and high-pressure boilers, pumps, generators, switch gear, valves, related machinery, and equipment.
• Reads gauges on air conditioners indicating and recording instruments and other related equipment.
• Tests water and adds chemicals as necessary.
• Inspects machinery to detect faulty operations by making rounds at pre-determined intervals.
• Makes minor adjustments to and lubricates equipment including washing and changing oil and refrigeration filters, cleans filters, air handlers, air conditioning tower, condenser tubes, sump and boiler site glasses as needed.
• Lubricates fans and motors, checks equipment belts and drives, runs stand-by
generators in case of an emergency.
• Maintains records and prepares accurate reports concerning equipment operations and maintenance.
• Performs and assists on major equipment repair work.
• Performs activities and functions of related lower-level personnel.
• Perform other tasks as assigned or required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Extensive knowledge of the materials, tools, equipment, procedures, and of the safety hazards and precautions of the work associated with the Stationary Engineer Trade with competency at the journey level.
• Considerable knowledge of construction procedures and techniques.
• Ability to use basic mathematics to read gauges and keep accurate records.
• Ability to follow written and oral instructions, and to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to climb and work from ladders.
• Ability to maintain records and prepare accurate reports concerning equipment
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with Supervisors, Associates, and the General Public.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
The following requirements list the minimum education/training/experience required to qualify for this job. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be accepted.
• Five (5) years of experience as a Stationary Engineer or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
• Present a current NIULPE license and valid City of Pittsburgh Stationary Engineer License (Class 3) at the time of application.
Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
Applicant must have permanent residency in Allegheny County, at time of appointment and remain a permanent resident throughout employment with the PWSA. Verification of Allegheny County residence is required at time of filing application.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED / RECEIVED
No direct reports / Will receive supervision directly from the Water Production Manager.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to operate a pickup truck, van and forklift, and related equipment. The employee will perform heavy work including lifting and carrying up to 100 pounds, and work in loud conditions with vibrations, traffic, mechanical, chemical, fire and explosive risks.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to a loud or moderate noise level within the work environment. May perform work outdoors under extreme weather.The employee may be exposed to confined, high spaces, like erect scaffolding; loud conditions with vibrations, traffic, mechanical, chemical, fire, and explosive risks; and odors, dusts, fumes, mists, poor ventilation, and gases which may require a respirator.
Availability to work all three shifts, as well as weekends, and holidays. Subject to remain on duty beyond normal hours and/or recalled during emergency situations or other extensive periods.
Employment may be contingent upon the results of a post-offer (initial employment or promotion) physical examination performed by the Authority's examining physician.
Employment may be contingent upon the results of a post-offer (initial employment or promotion) drug screening. Continued employment may be subject to drug and alcohol testing conducted without advance notice and without individualized suspicion.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION:
Ability to successfully pass a thorough investigation consisting of a criminal history check, verification of prior employment and performance, reference, and credentials checks, and in some cases credit history.
Applicants are subject to a System for Award Management (SAM) or any successor system search as maintained by the General Services Administration (GSA) to ensure compliance with federal procurement and non-procurement programs.
Applications: You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application. If you have questions regarding your application, please contact the Human Resources Department at:
PWSA Human Resources Department
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
An Equal Opportunity Employer: The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority (PWSA) is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based on any legally protected statuses, including, but not limited to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy status, or veteran status. PWSA is committed to providing candidates with reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities during our recruiting process; if you need assistance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-255-8800.
Position: Stationary Engineer
Union: Pittsburgh Joint Collective Bargaining Committee (PJCBC) Local 95
Application Deadline: Until Filled
- Pay Type Hourly
- 7779 Lock Way E, Pittsburgh, PA 15206, USA