The Machinist inspects, maintains, repairs, rebuilds, aligns, installs, designs, and fabricates components for a variety of mechanical and related equipment used in the PWSA.
• Operates machine shop tools and equipment such as a lathe, shaper, drill press, power saw, milling machine for making, repairing, or adjusting equipment parts
• Repairs, aligns, installs, and maintains high-capacity water pumping equipment such as gear drives, hydraulic systems, or automotive and auxiliary equipment on various machinery
• Provides technical assistance to and works with other skilled craftspeople and utility workers on major jobs
• Recommends tools and replacement parts to be ordered as needed
• May drive a truck of one ton or less to field job locations
• Prepares and submits accurate reports of work performed as required
• Performs activities and functions of related lower-level personnel as assigned or required
• Performs other related tasks assigned or required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Considerable knowledge of the materials, methods, tools, and equipment used in the inspection, maintenance, repair, design, and fabrication of parts and components associated with water pumping, gear drives, hydraulic systems, etc. and/or automotive equipment
• Knowledge of the principles pertaining to the mechanics of water pumping and/or automotive equipment; of the safety hazards and precautions of the work; bearings, fittings, allowable tolerances, mechanical units, and basic electrical circuits
• Some knowledge of various metal alloys used in the fabrication of parts and components
• Ability to locate and diagnose operational difficulties; inspect, maintain and repair high capacity water pumping or automotive equipment
• Ability to provide technical assistance when needed
• Understands and follows oral and written instructions
• Ability to work from sketches, drawings, and specifications
• Ability to establish and maintain records and prepare accurate reports
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates, outside agencies, and the general public
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
The following requirements list the minimum education/training/experience required to qualify for this job. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be accepted.
• Four (4) years of experience as a machinist.
A written and/or performance exam may be required.
Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
Applicant must have permanent residency in the Allegheny County at time of appointment and remain a permanent resident throughout employment with the PWSA. Verification of Allegheny County residence is required at the time of filing application.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED / RECEIVED
No direct reports / Will receive supervision directly from the Plant Maintenance Foreman.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to operate a pickup truck, van and forklift, and related equipment. The employee will perform heavy work including lifting and carrying up to 100 pounds, and work in loud conditions with vibrations, traffic, mechanical, chemical, fire and explosive risks.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to a loud or moderate noise level within the work environment. May perform work outdoors under extreme weather. The employee may be exposed to confined, high spaces, like erecting scaffolding; loud conditions with vibrations, traffic, mechanical, chemical, fire, and explosive risks; and odors, dusts, fumes, mists, poor ventilation, and gases which may require a respirator.
Availability to work all three shifts, as well as weekends, and holidays. Subject to remain on duty beyond normal hours and/or recalled during emergency situations or other extensive periods.
Employment may be contingent upon the results of a post-offer (initial employment or promotion) physical examination performed by the Authority's examining physician.
Employment may be contingent upon the results of a post-offer (initial employment or promotion) drug screening. Continued employment may be subject to drug and alcohol testing conducted without advance notice and without individualized suspicion.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION:
Ability to successfully pass a thorough investigation consisting of a criminal history check,verification of prior employment and performance, reference, and credentials checks, and in some cases credit history.
Applicants are subject to a System for Award Management (SAM) or any successor system search as maintained by the General Services Administration (GSA) to ensure compliance with federal procurement and non-procurement programs
Applications: You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application. If you have questions regarding your application, please contact the Human Resources Department at:
PWSA Human Resources Department
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
An Equal Opportunity Employer: The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority (PWSA) is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based on any legally protected statuses, including, but not limited to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy status, or veteran status. PWSA is committed to providing candidates with reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities during our recruiting process; if you need assistance, please contact us at email@example.com or 412-255-8800.
Division: Water Treatment Plant
Union: Pittsburgh Joint Collective Bargaining Committee (PJCBC), Labor Unit Local 95
Application Deadline: Until Filled