The Operational Warfighting division is seeking a Research Scientist. This role will sit on the Organizations, Roles and Missions team and will provide specific technical/scientific expertise to projects. Our ideal candidate will be familiar with military structure and working in a military organization. He/She will be experienced in qualitative and quantitative research methods, organizational design theory, executing assessments and evaluations (ideally in organization design and structures) and have working knowledge of data visualization techniques.
The Organizations, Roles, and Missions team helps military organizations transform their structures and processes for greater effectiveness. Operating within a federally funded research and development center allows us to blend the tactics of management consulting with a deep understanding of the mission and access to performance data. We employ innovative methods like design thinking, wargaming and network analysis to meet the unique needs of military organizations.
CNA fosters an inclusive culture that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Our flexible and engaging work environment encourages iterative and creative collaboration at every stage of the problem-solving process. Our employees are committed to helping clients develop effective solutions to better manage their programs through scientific, data-driven approaches. We are looking for creative and innovative individuals to help carry out our mission
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES
1. With minimal or no guidance, meets CNA’s quality standards when working on well-structured pieces of a project. Demonstrates ability to develop sound analytic frameworks and associated analytic methodologies/ techniques for addressing both structured and unstructured problems. With direction and supervision, clearly defines, structures, and executes a piece of a complex study to meet quality standards. Demonstrates analytic creativity and curiosity.
2. Develops and maintains broad, general institutional knowledge of primary clients/sponsors; their culture, organization, and issues.
3. Contributes productively and harmoniously to the work of others; treats everyone respectfully, professionally and fairly. Keeps others informed. Proactively identifies and seeks out others working on similar topics. Works to identify opportunities for collaborations within team, division, and operating unit.
4. Supports business development efforts and/or marketing activities by maintaining strong client relationships through high quality work, increasing the visibility of our work, and other related activities such as proposal preparation.
5. Interacts with sponsors/clients under the supervision of an experienced colleague, and with study POCs independently.
6. Makes significant contributions to research publications and analytic products for individual projects.
7. Demonstrates ability to communicate results of work in a clear and concise fashion. Effectively communicates one-on-one and in groups. Can document work efficiently and accurately. Can effectively present work to colleagues, sponsors, and small audiences that are familiar with content.
8. Works with minimal or no guidance on focused, well-structured pieces of projects. Works under closer supervision on more complex, less-structured tasks. Can serve as task lead for pieces of projects by managing own activities. May lead small projects under the supervision of an RTL/CMD.
9. Exhibits a positive attitude in interactions with colleagues and clients/sponsors. Provides clear guidance to colleagues on tasks. Takes responsibility for own actions and outcomes.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Education: Minimum Master’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience, PhD preferred. PMP certification a plus. Certification as Organization Design Professional (CODP) a plus.
2. Experience: Typical minimum requirements Ph.D. & 0+ years or Master’s & 2+ years of experience in research and analysis.
- Application of qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Organizational design theory
- Assessments and evaluations (ideally in organization design and structures)
- Working knowledge of data visualization techniques
- Ability to work on progressively more difficult projects/analyses, including directing portions of large research projects or small to medium projects under general supervision
- Ability to operate independently and proactively in the execution of assignments
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Strong planning and organizational skill
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong and effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to interact directly and effectively with clients and influence their decisions
4. Other: Ability to obtain and maintain an Active Secret Security Clearance.
5. Remote/Hybrid Work Eligibility: This position is eligible for telecommuting or hybrid work arrangements at the discretion of the Supervisor. Employees may be required to work at CNA headquarters or other work locations resulting in changes to the scheduled telecommuting or hybrid work arrangements.
Please include a cover letter and a writing sample with your application.
Please include a personal statement as part of your application. A personal statement is a chance for us to get to know you. The statement is your opportunity to share your goals, interests, influences and show us that you will be a valuable asset to our organization. Please click here for personal statement guidelines – Click here
Personal statements will not be used as an elimination criteria for this position. They will only be used to enhance a candidate’s application
CNA is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service and protected veterans, or other non-merit based factors. In addition to federal legal requirements, CNA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. These protections extend to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting and hiring practices, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training and career development programs. For more information about EEO protections, please view the EEO is the law posters here: "EEO is the Law" Poster; "EEO is the Law" Poster Supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here: Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Poster. To be considered for hire, all individuals applying for positions with CNA are subject to a background investigation. For positions requiring access to classified information, U.S. citizenship is required. Individuals will also be subject to an additional government background investigation, and continued employment eligibility is contingent upon the ability to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
- Job Family Research
- Job Function Career Path I - Research
- CNA, 3003 Washington Blvd, Arlington, Virginia, United States of America