Systems Engineer II (Systems Modernization)
CNA is currently seeking a Systems Engineer our Enterprise Systems and Data Analysis (ESDA) division within the Institute for Public Research. As the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is working to balance the needs of increased air traffic demand with integration of new entrants such as drones, air taxis and commercial space launches, they look to CNA to tackle their most complex challenges through data-driven analyses that produces actionable recommendations. You can join a strong team delivering high impact solutions to modernize systems for the collection, management, and distribution of critical aviation data to meet the needs of the face-paced air traffic control environment.
This is an opportunity to advance the mission of the FAA and related aviation stakeholders to enhance the delivery of aviation services for the public good. The Systems Engineer will be a key team member, eliciting stakeholder needs, generating and analyzing system requirements, developing and validating functional and system architectures, and evaluating the application and trade-offs of various technologies. This is all while applying an understanding of impacts and considerations on the national airspace system. The role will contribute recommendations based on recent advances, best practices, and gaps in the application of systems to implement modern systems and technologies that advance the future of aviation while continuing to ensure its safety.
CNA fosters an inclusive culture that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Our flexible and engaging work environment encourages iterative and creative collaboration at every stage of the problem solving process. Our employees are committed to helping clients develop effective solutions to better manage their programs through scientific, data-driven approaches. We are looking for creative and innovative individuals to help carry out our mission.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES
1. Supports the definition and development of system requirements and documentation of the requirements in detailed specifications from which programs will be developed and/or procured, and from which hardware will be developed and/or procured.
2. Under general supervision, supports formulation, validation, documentation, and definition of user requirements or stories, system use cases, business process workflows, enterprise architectures, system specifications and design based on user needs, research, and fact-finding.
3. Supports stakeholder engagement sessions to elicit user needs, business architectures, processes, and gaps. Works with stakeholders to understand, characterize, model, analyze, and validate current and future business processes, information flows, organizational relationships, and/or operational resources.
4. Applies standard research methodologies to gather, process, document, and analyze data. Uses relevant database software to effectively organize and present data and generate reports.
5. Works independently on pieces of projects. Work under general supervision on broader strands of the project. Maintains an understanding of project budgeting and financial tracking over the project lifecycle.
6. Devises or modifies procedures and specifications to solve complex problems, considering computer equipment capacity and limitations, operating time, and form of desired results.
7. Designs conceptual and logical data models to be used in systems using UML and entity Relationship diagrams. Develops data dictionaries, schemas, data flows, and ontologies. Supports development and execution of data migration strategies.
8. Support development of information management strategies and governance aligned with organizational mission needs.
9. Supports analysis and revision of existing system logic difficulties and documentation as necessary.
10. Supports resolution of difficult and complicated program support deficiencies.
11. Works with software developers to provide guidance on development issues. Ensures user needs are accurately represented to system designers and developers.
12. Supports development of independent validation and verification plans and scenarios, following industry standards and system requirements
13. Maintains familiarity with the missions and organizational structure of the division or team's major client/sponsors.
14. Drafts reports, briefings, or other project deliverables. Structure problems of advanced scope, technical assistance or proposal development tasks.
1. Education: Bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics, operations research, or a related engineering field or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
2. Experience: Minimum of 4 years relevant work experience performing duties similar to those listed above in a Government contract environment or 6 years generally related experience.
3. Skills: Ability to participate in a wide variety of systems engineering disciplines including, but not limited to, safety risk management, reliability/maintainability/availability engineering, information systems security, risk management practices, earned value management, investment analysis, independent validation and verification, business analysis, and project definition, management, and control. Ability to construct effective briefings using MS PowerPoint and intermediate to advanced skills with MS Word and Excel and other standard software packages. Ability to communicate information concisely, precisely, and in a grammatically correct manner in both oral and written communication. Ability to present and summarize data effectively. Exhibit a positive attitude in interactions with colleagues, clients/sponsors, and staff. Strong customer and client relations management skills. Working knowledge of system and software design processes, tools, and techniques. Working knowledge of system development and testing documentation and standards. Working knowledge of data and information management analysis techniques and best practices. Working knowledge of different software development life-cycles, to include waterfall and agile methodologies. Ability to work with and provide direction to others. Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
4. Other: Ability to obtain and maintain security clearance is required.
CNA follows a broad band compensation framework that considers a range of criteria in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience; degree, certifications, other business and organizational needs. Compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $90K – $100K Please visit the following link for benefits information.
***Voluntary (but highly desired) document***
Please include a personal statement as part of your application. A personal statement is a chance for us to get to know you. The statement is your opportunity to share your goals, interests, influences and show us that you will be a valuable asset to our organization. Please click here for personal statement guidelines – Click here
Personal statements will not be used as an elimination criteria for this position. They will only be used to enhance a candidate’s application
CNA is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service and protected veterans, or other non-merit based factors. In addition to federal legal requirements, CNA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. These protections extend to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting and hiring practices, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training and career development programs. For more information about EEO protections, please view the EEO is the law posters here: "EEO is the Law" Poster", "EEO Poster Supplement". The pay transparency policy is available here: Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Poster. To be considered for hire, all individuals applying for positions with CNA are subject to a background investigation. For positions requiring access to classified information, U.S. citizenship is required. Individuals will also be subject to an additional government background investigation, and continued employment eligibility is contingent upon the ability to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
- Job Family Systems/Software Engineering
- Job Function Career Path II - Expert & Research Specialist
- Pay Type Salary