Operator - Press 3rd Shift
Job Title: Press Operator
Department: Extrusion Department
Reports To: Lead Process Manager - Extrusion
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Created By: Meredith Cumbow and Rob Crabtree
Summary: Operates the press in a safe and efficient manner in order to achieve production goals.
Responsibilities: Other duties may be assigned.
- Monitors all Process Managers to ensure that they are performing their duties per the work instructions and safety standards set forth by the company.
- Monitors the press to make sure it is function properly by utilizing the TPM program.
- Meets production goals in a safe manner and will notify the Lead Process Manager when they will not meet their goal.
- Has the ability to read and write recipes.
- Can accurately read mill orders and asks questions of the Scheduler as needed.
- Modifies recipes with engineering approval.
- Operates Billet Heater Console to ensure that the correct recipe is being utilized per the order.
- Aligns the press during changeover activities, and or as needed.
- Sets the press up, per mill order specifications and procedure.
- Sets up the whiteboard for operators so that they understand what orders are being processed. Board should have the following information: heater set ups, guide used for order, identifies if it is a “run” job or “check” job, or any other related information deemed necessary to operators.
- Effectively relays communication to other departments through the use of Line Stop emails.
- Completes all corresponding paperwork.
- Ability to run all department operations.
- Assists Maintenance in their activities, as needed, this includes shut down activities.
- Inspects and inventories site-generated hazardous waste staging areas.
- Assists the transfer of site-generated hazardous waste to on-site staging areas.
- Directs storage of site-generated hazardous waste in the hazardous waste staging areas.
- Conducts inspections of Satellite Accumulation Areas.
- Ability to execute the production plan to ensure on time delivery to our customers.
- Own and role model Plymouth Tube values and behaviors by embracing and participating in an operating culture that promotes involvement, communication, mutual trust & respect, expectations and accountability, and a passion for excellence.
- Understands, applies and advocates all Company Environmental and Safety policies, procedures and standards.
- Understands, applies and advocates all Company Quality Standards.
- Attends all prerequisite training as required by management.
- Has the authority to stop process to correct quality, safety or environmental problems, and to promptly notify Supervisory personnel when processes are noncompliant
- Must be self-motivated and able to work without direct supervision.
- Receptive to new and different ideas
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Strong leadership
- Goal orientated
- Safety conscious
- Flexible and able to adjust to scheduling demands
- Calm and collective demeanor
Supervisory Responsibilities: Indirect supervision of other process managers to ensure that the press runs safely and efficiently. Supports the Lead Process Manager position.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: High School Diploma or GED. Previous extrusion press experience is highly preferred with a strong safety record.
Certificates/Licenses/Registration: Powered Industrial Equipment Certification
Technology and Equipment: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have a working knowledge of:
- Windows operating systems & programs
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to use calibers
To perform this job successfully, an individual should possess the following language skills:
- Can speak and communicate effectively to technical and non-technical team members.
- Can correctly interpret documents such as written instructions, spreadsheets, drawings, lists and manuals.
Demonstrate ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, decimals, negative and positive numbers. Demonstrate ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to interpret bar graphs & use the Metric System.
Physical Demands: See Extrusion Medical Standard Matrix
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, heavy equipment and stored energy in the form of pneumatic, hydraulic, mechanical, electrical and gravitational energy. The noise level in the work environment is above 85 dcB and hearing protection is required. Due to manufacturing technologies utilized in the area common contaminants such as dirt, dust, grease, oil steel chips and water will be present. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; extreme cold and extreme heat. Also may be exposed to fumes or dust.
I have read this job description (or it has been read to me) and I completely understand all my job duties and responsibilities. I am able to perform the essential functions as outlined with or without reasonable accommodation. I understand that my job may change on a temporary and regular basis according to the needs of my location or department without it be specifically included in this job description. If I have any questions about job duties not specified on this description that I am asked to perform, I should discuss them with my immediate supervisor, manager or Human Resource.
I have discussed any questions that I may have had about this job description prior to signing this form.
Employee Signature Date
Employee Name (Please print)
- Job Function Group P
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hopkinsville, KY, USA