Bioinformatics - Bioinformatics Analyst
The Wistar Institute is a world leader in early-stage discovery science in the areas of cancer, immunology, and infectious disease. Wistar is committed to accelerating research advances from bench to bedside through brilliant science and distinctive approaches to collaboration among scientific investigators and academic and industry partners. Wistar’s dynamic environment supports the advancement of discoveries that will change the future of human health.
The Wistar Institute is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). All candidates must share our commitment to DEI. The Wistar Institute is especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their research, mentoring, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of our academic/research community.
The Wistar Institute has multiple openings for Bioinformatics Analysts to join the Bioinformatics Shared Resource of our NCI-designated Cancer Center. The Bioinformatics Core provides Wistar investigators with expertise in computational analyses of biomedical research data as well as database management and software applications support.
The Bioinformatics Analyst will:
- Apply and develop bioinformatics approaches for analysis of data from high-throughput experiments conducted by Wistar Institute scientists, including but not limited to bulk and single cell next generation sequencing and other various types of genomics and proteomics data.
- Design, implement, and evaluate new bioinformatics programs to extend the services and capabilities of the facility.
- Develop and implement application for management, analysis and representation of different types of data, including interface implementations of scientific algorithms and to write comprehensive reports.
- Execute special projects as assigned and attend project meetings as appropriate.
Master’s degree in Bioinformatics/Mathematical/Physical/Computational Sciences or related fields required, PhD preferred. Minimum of one-year prior experience in Bioinformatics data analysis and scientific software development for high throughput data (next generation sequencing, proteomics, other platforms) is preferred. Experience in programming languages (e.g. Python or Perl) and experience in R or Matlab statistical environments is required. The ideal candidate will have experience with analysis of most next generation sequencing approaches, including bulk and single cell RNA-seq, CHIP/CUT&RUN/ATAC-seq, HiCHIP/HiC data analyses. Relational database development and website integration knowledge is a plus.
The Wistar Institute is located in the University City area of Philadelphia, in the heart of the University of Pennsylvania Campus. Wistar provides resources to its faculty and staff that enable them to conduct cutting edge collaborative research and provides for outstanding intellectual environments and state-of-the-art facilities. We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
For more information about The Wistar Institute visit our website at www.wistar.org.
- The Wistar Institute, 3601 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America