Finance & Purchasing - Grants & Contracts Accountant
The Wistar Institute is a world leader in early-stage discovery science in the areas of cancer, immunology, and infectious disease. Wistar is committed to accelerating research advances from bench to bedside through brilliant science and distinctive approaches to collaboration among scientific investigators and academic and industry partners. Wistar’s dynamic environment supports the advancement of discoveries that will change the future of human health.
The Wistar Institute is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). All candidates must share our commitment to DEI. The Wistar Institute is especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their research, mentoring, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of our academic/research community.
The Wistar Institute has an opening for a Grants & Contracts Accountant in the Research Financial Administration/Finance department. The Grants & Contracts Accountant will provide financial and post-award support to Principal Investigators and their scientific staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides financial support to assigned Principal Investigators’ grants and contracts and other non-sponsored funds.
- Responsible for financial and post-award financial support of grants, including:
- Preparing financial aspects of federal and non-federal proposals.
- Acting as liaison between funding agencies, scientific staff and other Wistar administrative units.
- Administering awards in compliance with agency and institutional policies.
- Preparing and managing proposal, award and operating budgets.
- Preparing invoices, financial reports and other financial analyses for sponsoring agencies
- Prepares financial analyses of funding support for scientists in order to determine the annual budget.
- Consults with Scientific Staff to ensure that the proper personnel are assigned to the proper funding sources.
- Analyzes sources of funding and determines availability of funds and projections
- Reviews accounting/financial transactions to ensure compliance with both Wistar and funding agency policies (such as review of purchase orders, petty cash requests, and travel authorizations and expense vouchers).
- Prepares and processes journal entries for cost transfers between awards, award close-outs, and allocating charges to proper awards, as needed.
- Prepares financial reports, analyses and award closeouts.
- Updates and maintains financial and other administrative systems with relevant grant and award information.
- Ensures assigned Principal Investigators and lab personnel’s labor distributions for up to date and accurate.
- Completes special tasks or projects when needed.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting or business-related field or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Experience in the financial administration of federal grants or grant-related accounting is preferred.
The Wistar Institute is located in the University City area of Philadelphia, in the heart of the University of Pennsylvania Campus. Wistar provides resources to its faculty and staff that enable them to conduct cutting edge collaborative research and provides for outstanding intellectual environments and state-of-the-art facilities.
We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
For more information about The Wistar Institute visit our website at www.wistar.org.
*This position is eligible for a hybrid remote working arrangement as defined by Institute policy.
- The Wistar Institute, 3601 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America