General Services - Supplementary Services Attendant
The Wistar Institute is a world leader in early-stage discovery science in the areas of cancer, immunology, and infectious disease. Wistar is committed to accelerating research advances from bench to bedside through brilliant science and distinctive approaches to collaboration among scientific investigators and academic and industry partners. Wistar’s dynamic environment supports the advancement of discoveries that will change the future of human health.
The Wistar Institute is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). All candidates must share our commitment to DEI. The Wistar Institute is especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their research, mentoring, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of our academic/research community.
The Wistar Institute has an opening for a Supplementary Services Attendant in the General Services department. The Supplementary Services Attendant provides supplementary service activities for scientific and administrative meetings and events, of varying size and importance. This role is responsible for supporting food services within Wistar, including the pavilion coffee area and U-mart.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Serves food with good customer service.
- Scrapes and pre-washes dirty dishes, silverware, glassware, and cooking utensils.
- Operates dish-washing machine.
- Maintains cleanliness of Pavilion and kitchen areas; cleans kitchen surfaces and equipment.
- Ensures proper disposal of leftover food.
- Maintains sanitation, health and safety standards in work area.
- Prepares coffee and tea throughout the day to accommodate requests.
- Places food orders to outside vendors, upon special request from senior admin staff, for small meetings.
- Accepts food, verifies that the order is complete, and stores the food until the proper set-up time.
- Stocks the Pavilion coffee area with supplies. Stocks the kitchenette areas within the Institute with basic needs (including paper products, forks, knives, and spoons).
- Maintains inventory and coordinates ordering of supplies.
- Monitors tables in the Pavilion and in the conference rooms and cleans when necessary.
- Helps to move and set up tables as needed.
- Sets up food for meetings, social functions, including breakfasts, lunches, dinners, parties, seminars, and cocktail receptions.
- Breaks down left-over food from meetings, social functions, including breakfasts, lunches, dinners, parties, seminars, and cocktail receptions.
- Cleans tables before setting up food and after clearing food.
- Chills beverages for events.
- Ensures availability and quantity of linens, beverages, etc. prior to events.
- Cleans kitchen at the end of the day.
- Follows all roles and responsibilities outlined in the Food Employee Health Policy.
- Participates in department cross-training in order to facilitate service coverage.
- Additional duties may include, but are not limited to, providing back up to other members of the General Services Department.
- Must be flexible regarding shift assignments.
Requirements: High school diploma or equivalent required. A minimum of two years’ previous food service experience preferred.
The Wistar Institute is located in the University City area of Philadelphia, in the heart of the University of Pennsylvania Campus. Wistar provides resources to its faculty and staff that enable them to conduct cutting edge collaborative research and provides for outstanding intellectual environments and state-of-the-art facilities.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits package.
For more information about The Wistar Institute visit our website at www.wistar.org.
- The Wistar Institute, 3601 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America