Senior Compliance Specialist
The Senior Compliance Specialist is responsible for execution and analysis of North American sales tax and legal entity compliance and filings, ERP system testing and oversight of company tax software, Avalara.
Sales/Use Tax - Domestic
- Manage Nexxus treatment for all states, both physical and economic for B2B and B2C transactions. Keep abreast of new regulations and requirements as to filing requirements and rates.
- Timely completion of monthly/quarterly sales tax filings.
- Reconciliation of sales tax accounts, ensuring liabilities properly accrued and payments properly made.
- Develop and maintain use tax policy, partner with Accounts Payable teams to ensure proper treatment.
- Partner with Credit teams as to completeness and accuracy of resale exemption certificates.
- Oversight of Avalara Tax system, including set-up and maintenance.
- Managing sales tax audits and notices from taxing authorities.
GST/HST/PST – Canada
- Manage treatment and proper filings/payments for GST/HST/PST in Canada
- Understand and ensure proper accounting for Stewardship taxes
- Understand the Non-Resident Importer (NRI) process into Canada
Legal Entity/Business and Other Filings
- Responsible for all annual business filings.
- Manage personal property tax filings, partner with GL team to ensure proper valuations of assets.
- Other filings/taxes, including Ohio CAT, Nevada Commerce, Texas Freeport Exemption, etc.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive database/calendar of all filing requirements, dates, deadlines, etc. to ensure completeness and accuracy of related filings.
- Other duties/special projects as needed to support the team.
- State income tax compliance/tracking
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting or Finance
- 3 - 5+ years of related experience, preferably with sales tax
- Knowledge of Avalara, or other sales tax systems
- General understanding of sales tax and related concepts, Nexxus, Wayfair decision, etc.
- Ability to collaborate with cross functional teams across the organization
- Strong organizational skills, demonstrated ability to achieve deadlines
- Ability to learn multiple topics and work in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail, completeness and accuracy of deliverables
- Experience with ERP systems (NetSuite a plus)
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Excel
- Previous experience in accounting in a growing multi-unit domestic and/or foreign company.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee may be required to sit for prolonged periods.
Heated and air-conditioned office
Why join us?
- US ONLY: Get paid early through Dayforce Wallet – access your earned paycheck, with getting paid up to two days earlier than your regular payday
- Benefits: employee assistance program, voluntary benefits, basic life & AD&D, FSA, HSA, vision, dental, medical. Benefits become effective the first of the month following date of hire.
- 401(k) with employer match for full-time and part-time employees
- Paid time off (PTO), Volunteer time off (VTO) for full-time and part-time employees
- Holidays: 8 paid Holidays
- Corporate values, mission and purpose: we live by our core values every day, our values include: Do the Right Thing, Communicate Openly, Be Resourceful, Be Adaptable and Strive to Be Better
- Job Family Finance
- Pay Type Salary
- Job Start Date Tuesday, August 1, 2023
- Blaine, MN, USA