PA - Outdoor Trips (1830)-Outdoor Trip Leader
Peak Adventures’ purpose is to kindle personal growth, leadership, and connections through experiences in the outdoors.
ASI’s Peak Adventures is an outdoor adventure program dedicated to getting Sac State Students outside. Peak Adventures provides guided outdoor trips, low cost gear rentals, full service bike repair at The Bike Shop, summer youth camps and team building at The Challenge Center.
SUMMARY: The Outdoor Trip Leader is responsible for managing operational and participant needs for Peak Adventures Outdoor Trips and Clinics both from campus and off site. The Outdoor Trip Leader oversees the planning and implementation of trips, provides exemplary customer service, oversees risk management decisions, and ensures trip operational needs are met.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Safely perform job duties
- Oversight of up to 30 participants ranging in age from youth to adult.
- Manage participant needs in either trips and/or clinics setting
- Supervision of Outdoor Trip Volunteers.
- Ensure completed documentation for participants and other compliance reporting
- Operation of 12 passenger van. Perform a safety inspection on assigned vehicle to be used. Notify supervisor of any vehicle deficiencies. Follow all California State Rules and Regulations surrounding vehicle operation.
- Oversee group dynamics such as participant interactions within the group as well as interactions between participants and others outside the group to promote a positive experience for all
- Manage group travel in front and backcountry settings
- Load and unload equipment and supplies.
- Lead pre-trip meetings
- Administer to participant needs
- Assess and make decisions about risk management in the field
- Understand and adhere to requirements/restrictions for trip location
- Communicate with the Outdoor Adventure Manager on a frequent basis
- Manage first aid needs.
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with other staff, and public
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to be flexible and adaptive
- Ability to work well with other staff
- Understanding and adherence to safe operating practices
- Ability to manage large groups
- Ability to confidently and accurately manage risk
- Enrolled in a minimum of 6 units at Sacramento State; maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA overall (for Student Assistant incumbents)
- High School Diploma and 18 years of age
- CPR Certification (Online certification not accepted)
- First Aid Certification(Online certification not accepted)
- California Commercial driver’s license (Class C or higher) with a passenger endorsement(acquired within four months of hire)
- Demonstrated competency in various outdoor skills
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as well as overtime and double time
- Other outdoor professional certifications
- California Commercial driver’s license (Class C or higher) with a passenger endorsement
- Current Wilderness First Aid or higher certification
- Experience on a variety of outdoors trips with a diverse outdoor skillset
- Over 1 year of trip leading experience
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to fingers, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. The employee must:
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 60 pounds or 100 pounds assisted.
- Must be able to work in a variety of weather conditions and be prepared for both heat and cold
- Must be able to climb, kneel, squat, reach overhead
- Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces
- Must be able to meet minimum physical requirements for individual activity
- Must be able to drive for up to 3 hours in one day
- Must be able to maintain a high level of focus for long periods
WORK ENVIRONMENT (Choose one only)
- Outdoors exposed to rain, heat and cold temperature for 24 hours a day
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily after the candidate is offered a position with Associated Students, Inc. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current
Associated Students, Inc. employees who apply for the position.
Associated Students is a nonprofit corporation and an auxiliary organization of California State University, Sacramento providing a wide range of programs and services to the students of CSUS. Therefore, ASI employees are not state employees. www.asi.csus.edu
Associated Student Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime
Statistics Act Statement
compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and
Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Sacramento has made
crime statistics available on-line at www.csus.edu/police/cleryact.htm
- Job Family Sports and Recreation
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $16.25
- Max Hiring Rate $17.25
- 6000 J St, Sacramento, CA 95819, USA