PA - Bike Shop (1820) Apprentice Bicycle Technician
Peak Adventures’ purpose is to kindle personal growth, leadership, and connections through experiences in the outdoors.
ASI’s Peak Adventures is an outdoor adventure program dedicated to getting Sac State Students outside. Peak Adventures provides guided outdoor trips, low cost gear rentals, full service bike repair at The Bike Shop, summer youth camps and team building at The Challenge Center.
Under the direct supervision of the Peak Adventures Bike Shop Manager, the Bicycle Technician Apprentice is responsible for learning daily operations of the Bike Shop and customer service standards. This includes professional, efficient, accurate and friendly service to our customers. The Bicycle Technician Apprentice is responsible for learning how to build and repair bicycles, along with directing customers through the retail sales process. This position will also collaborate with other Peak Adventures staff as it pertains to the various areas of program operations that intersect with the Bike Shop resources. Bicycle Technician Apprentice will provide information related to Peak Adventures services and program/retail offerings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Safely perform job duties
- Ability to perform a flat fix and adjustments of brakes, derailleurs, headsets, and bottom brackets of a bicycle to the standards of Peak Adventures. This includes inspecting for damage/wear, removing a wheel, replacing tube/tire, lube/replace chain/cables, and install common bike accessories.
- Ability to clearly and completely fill out bike service tags, special order tags and other retail sales documentation.
- Ability to reliably diagnose and estimate cost of common repairs.
- Ability to complete repairs and installations of parts and accessories in a timely manner, meeting all safety standards.
- Direct customers through the retail sales process with a high level of customer service.
- Support the bike rental process by inspecting rental bicycles and other accessories.
- Maintain a clean and friendly work area including bike shop, store lobby and other inventory storage areas.
- Provide feedback to the Bike Shop Manager that aims to improve the operational efficiency and customer service.
- Assist in general customer service by answering phones, assisting with program registration and checking in/out rental gear.
- Responsible for following all store policies and procedures.
- Promote ASI and Peak Adventure mission and values.
- Attend a 6-hour Basic Bike Maintenance training.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Proven ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with staff, employees and public
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Enrolled in a minimum of 6 units at Sacramento State; maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA overall (for Student Assistant positions)
- Knowledge of windows-based personal computers – Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
- Former work experience in sales or retail
- General knowledge of bicycles and types or cycling.
- General knowledge of outdoor programming and equipment
- Retail/customer service experience
- CPR/First Aid certifications
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to fingers, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. The employee must:
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to climb, kneel, squat, reach overhead
- Confident bicycle rider.
- Ability to stand and use hands for extended periods of time
- Ability to withstand daily exposure to various chemicals such as grease and cleaning solutions
WORK ENVIRONMENT (Choose one only)
- Combination of indoors and outdoors
- Outdoors exposed to rain, heat and cold temperature for less than 1 hour a day
Adventure Begins Here
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily after the candidate is offered a position with Associated Students, Inc. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current
Associated Students, Inc. employees who apply for the position.
Associated Students is a nonprofit corporation and an auxiliary organization of California State University, Sacramento providing a wide range of programs and services to the students of CSUS. Therefore, ASI employees are not state employees. www.asi.csus.edu
Associated Student Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime
Statistics Act Statement
compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and
Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Sacramento has made
crime statistics available on-line at www.csus.edu/police/cleryact.htm
- Job Family Merchandizing and Retail
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $16.00
- Max Hiring Rate $16.97
- 6000 J St, Sacramento, CA 95819, USA