Community School Coordinator
Seeking skilled Community School Coordinator for inaugural position in 21st Century School in Northwest Baltimore. Apply today!
CHAI (Comprehensive Housing Assistance, Inc.) has an immediate opening for a Community School Coordinator (CSC) who will be responsible for facilitating the implementation of the community school strategy at Cross Country Elementary/Middle School. A Community School is created through a set of intentional partnerships among the school and other community resources that promote student achievement, positive conditions for learning, and the well-being of families and communities so that schools become the hubs of the community.
The CSC will work closely with the school principal, who will serve a key role in the selection process. This position will report to CHAI’s Director of Community and School Engagement for Northwest Baltimore and be an integral part of the Community Development team. In partnership with the school principal and broader school community, the community school coordinator will assess the needs of Cross Country Elementary/Middle School and will form strategic school-community partnerships based on the identified needs to help eliminate barriers to academic success for students and families and create a welcoming environment with everyone engaged. Ideal candidates will be dedicated to building a strong school and school community environment. This includes planning, asset/resource mapping, engagement, student and family support, communication, and reporting.
As part of the CHAI Community Development Team you will
- Work closely with the Community Development Team and engage with other departments within CHAI
- Become familiar with resources in the community and connect constituents to needed information
- Be a steward of the organization and develop strong relationships within the community
- Help drive CHAI’s mission, fulfill our vision, and abide by our organization’s values
In this role you will
Build school and community engagement by
- Working closely with the school principal to identify and address school needs.
- Developing strong relationships with school administrators, staff, families, and community partners.
- Supporting parent engagement, the Parent Teacher Organization, and school events.
- Developing and implementing the Community School Action Plan. Collect, track and report Action Plan data.
- Engaging school staff, families, community residents and external partners in the community school.
- Ensuring partner activities align with the Action Plan.
- Seeking out grants, donations, partners, programs, volunteers, and other support to meet school needs.
- Participating actively in school teams such as the attendance team and school family council.
- Partnering with the school leadership team, school family council, student support teams, and external stakeholders, to conduct periodic needs assessments and resource mapping for the school, students, families, and the community.
Applicants will have
- Bachelor’s degree in social work or related fields.
- Ability to work independently and proactively, managing multiple projects and deadlines.
- Commitment to building and maintaining partnerships.
- Experience conducting needs assessments and using data to implement action plans.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills.
- High degree of commitment to equity and experience working with diverse communities.
- Experience with department and project-based budgeting.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Access to transportation.
- Availability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Be an independent thinker and self-starter; take initiative and use good judgement
- Working knowledge and commitment to DEIJ principles
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, both oral and written; builds trust
- Receptive to guidance from others
- Skilled at facilitating conversations among diverse groups
- Ability to deal with difficult people and problems
- Be a valuable team player and supportive colleague
- Ability to anticipate opportunities and challenges before they come up
- Solutions focused
- Fluency in English and Spanish preferred
- Two or more years of experience in community organizing or community engagement
- Fund-raising experience
- Two or more years of experience working with public schools
- Commitment to making a difference in the Cross Country neighborhood
- Familiarity with Northwest Baltimore communities
This job ad is not intended to be all-inclusive, but to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary Range: $60,0000 annually, salary commensurate with experience
Full Time Exempt position working in person at Cross Country Elementary/Middle School
CHAI offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, 401(k) employer match, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, and a complimentary membership to the Jewish Community Center. We make work/life balance a priority offering generous vacation/sick time and paid parental leave.
Application Process – Electronic submissions are preferred
CHAI: Comprehensive Housing Assistance, Inc. is a nonprofit housing and community development organization serving northwest Baltimore. For almost four decades of community service, CHAI has been forging deep connections and helping residents of all ages thrive, making our neighborhoods a stronger, better place in which to live, learn, and grow older. Learn more at www.chaibaltimore.org.
CHAI: Comprehensive Housing Assistance, Inc is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
CHAI: Comprehensive Housing Assistance, Inc. believes that Black lives matter. We are committed to fostering a safe, anti-racist environment. Together through open dialogue, we will continually learn and grow with a goal of achieving a culture that promotes justice and pushes for systemic change. We commit to ensuring that the voices influencing our actions are inclusive and representative. We stand firm in our belief that racial equity is essential to strong community.
- Job Family CHAI
- Pay Type Salary
- Baltimore, MD, USA