Community & School Engagement Associate (Spanish/Bilingual)
Do you want to make a difference in a dynamic community and school environment working for a family friendly agency in Northwest Baltimore? Apply today!
CHAI (Comprehensive Housing Assistance, Inc.) has an immediate opening for a Spanish/Bilingual Community & School Engagement Associate (CSEA) for the Fallstaff neighborhood in Northwest Baltimore, who is fluent in speaking and writing English and Spanish and will support CHAI’s community development mission and goals through community organizing and school engagement focused on the Fallstaff neighborhood. The CSEA will build relationships with Fallstaff residents and community stakeholders and work collaboratively with neighborhood leaders to support their goals to strengthen the neighborhood. The CSEA will also be an integral part of CHAI’s Community Development team, reporting to the Senior Director of Community Development, and support the organization’s overall goals of strengthening the fabric of neighborhoods in northwest Baltimore.
As part of the CHAI Community Development Team you will
- Work closely with the Community Development Team and engage with other departments within CHAI
- Become familiar with resources in the community and connect constituents to needed information
- Be a steward of the organization and develop strong relationships within the community
- Help drive CHAI’s mission, fulfill our vision, and abide by our organization’s values
In this role, you will
Build community engagement by
- Convening community members around issues of shared interest and concern
- Attending community meetings and conducting door knocking to build relationships with community members
- Working with community members to facilitate communication and collaboration among the diverse residents of Fallstaff
- Working with the Fallstaff Improvement Association (FIA) and other community partners to improve cleanliness, safety, and stability of the neighborhood
- Coordinating and promoting ongoing community and block-level projects
- Supporting planning and organizing of neighborhood events, community leadership opportunities, and cooperative projects between CHAI, FIA, other community groups, Fallstaff Elementary/Middle School, and city agencies
Build school engagement by
- Supporting parent and community engagement within schools, including assisting the Parent Teacher Organizations (PTOs) with recruitment and leadership development
- Connecting with the Fallstaff EMS community and leadership
Applicants will have
- At least 3 years’ experience in community and school engagement/organizing and working in diverse communities
- Bachelor’s Degree in social work or related fields
- Fluency in speaking and writing English and Spanish - candidates selected for the interview process will be required to demonstrate fluency in speaking and writing English and Spanish during interview
- Ability to work varying hours, including evenings and weekends
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Preferred but not required: Knowledge of neighborhoods in northwest Baltimore, especially Fallstaff
- Be an independent thinker and self-starter; take initiative and use good judgement
- Working knowledge and commitment to DEIJ principles
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, both oral and written;
- Commitment to building trust
- Receptive to guidance from others
- Skilled at facilitating conversations among diverse groups
- Ability to deal with difficult people and problems
- Be a valuable team player and supportive colleague
- Ability to anticipate opportunities and challenges before they come up
- Solutions focused
This job ad is not intended to be all-inclusive, but to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary Range: $45,000-$50,000 annually, salary commensurate with experience.
Hybrid schedule - in the office at least 3 days per week
Full Time Exempt position
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, 401(k) employer match, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, free parking, and a complimentary membership to the Jewish Community Center. We make work/life balance a priority offering generous vacation/sick time and paid parental leave.
Application Process – Electronic submissions are preferred
CHAI: Comprehensive Housing Assistance, Inc. is a nonprofit housing and community development organization serving northwest Baltimore. For almost four decades of community service, CHAI has been forging deep connections and helping residents of all ages thrive, making our neighborhoods a stronger, better place in which to live, learn, and grow older. Learn more at www.chaibaltimore.org
CHAI: Comprehensive Housing Assistance, Inc is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
CHAI: Comprehensive Housing Assistance, Inc. believes that black lives matter. We are committed to fostering a safe, anti-racist environment. Together through open dialogue, we will continually learn and grow with a goal of achieving a culture that promotes justice and pushes for systemic change. We commit to ensuring that the voices influencing our actions are inclusive and representative. We stand firm in our belief that racial equity is essential to strong community.
- Job Family CHAI
- Pay Type Salary
- Baltimore, MD, USA