Director of Legislative Affairs
ATA is a leading organization in the trucking industry, dedicated to promoting the interests of our members and advocating for effective legislative solutions. We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to join our team as a Director of Legislative Affairs . If you are passionate about the trucking industry, have a strong understanding of the legislative process, and are skilled in building relationships with key stakeholders, this could be the perfect role for you.
As a Director of Legislative Affairs at the American Trucking Associations, you will play a critical role in communicating the needs of our members and working closely with our policy office to strategize and convey a clear and concise message on legislative issues impacting the trucking industry. In this role, you will interact with a wide range of stakeholders, including ATA staff, Members of Congress, congressional staff, state trucking associations, coalition partners, industry stakeholders, and government agencies.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with Members of Congress and their staff, with a particular focus on Congressional committees of jurisdiction and federal agencies relevant to the trucking industry.
- Keep ATA's members informed about legislative issues through various communication channels, including face-to-face meetings, phone calls, emails, and other correspondence.
- Assist the ATA Hill office staff in monitoring legislative activities in Congress and effectively communicate ATA's policy positions to Members of Congress and their staff.
- Participate in preparing ATA members and staff for meetings with Members of Congress and testify on behalf of ATA before Congressional committees. This includes updating members on past and current legislative activity and the legislative outlook.
- Assist in crafting Congressional hearing testimony, correspondence, and ATA position statements, and deliver these materials to Capitol Hill. Attend Congressional hearings and provide follow-up memos highlighting key points.
- Engage in ATA's Call on Washington Program, including accompanying state associations to Capitol Hill and government agencies.
- Serve as ATA's liaison to state trucking associations within TAEC's four regions, helping manage relationships with State Executives and State VPs.
Education and Experience: A Bachelor's degree, preferably in Political Science or a related field, with a minimum of 5+ years of relevant experience working on Capitol Hill, in government administration, federal agencies, or the private sector, along with a comprehensive understanding of the federal legislative process.
Skills: Strong political insight, the ability to rapidly analyze and disseminate information, and excellent communication and writing skills are essential for success in this role.
ATA is the voice of the industry America depends on most to move our nation’s freight. We are a 90-year-old federation with state trucking association affiliates in all 50 states. We represent every sector of the industry, from LTL to truckload, agriculture, and livestock to auto haulers, and from large motor carriers to small mom-and-pop operations.
- ATA offers a competitive salary and benefits package
- We are located in Washington, D.C., within walking distance of the Navy Yard metro station
- Flexible hybrid work schedule
- Education assistance
- Various retirement plans with employer match
- Medical, dental & vision benefits at affordable cost
- HSA and FSA plans with employer contributions
- Pay Type Salary
- Capitol Hill, Washington, DC, USA