Software Engineer- Application Development
Job Title: Software Engineer
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica (HYBRID)
The role of Software Engineer is to provide technical support to Backcountry's eCommerce Team. The Engineer will act as a steward of the core platform and data pipelines that power Backcountry's analytical capabilities. They will utilize their data expertise to improve data models in various components of the data stack and will be involved in the architecture, building, and launching of scalable data pipelines to meet the organization's growing data processing and analytics needs. The successful candidate will provide business and user behavior insights by processing vast amounts of data, which will support the vision and requirements of multiple partner teams.
- Create well-written code that runs efficiently and optimally.
- Communicate with end-users to determine their needs.
- Apply the latest software design techniques and contribute to the technical design of new solutions.
- Write documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Troubleshoot issues and solve problems, identify potential process improvement.
- Deliver quality results on time with minimal supervision.
- Proactively engage x-functional teams to align x-team efforts to deliver in minimal time.
- Advocate for business problems being solved in every story, and work to gain a deep understanding of the root problem so that the simplest solution can be identified.
- Continually invest in your own knowledge and skillset through training, reading, and attending conferences and meetups.
- Passion for unit and automated testing, modular designs, and shipping quality code
- Building robust alerting and monitoring for a stable environment
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related field
- 2+ years of experience in software development
- Full professional proficiency in English.
- Experience working with Scrum Agile methodologies.
- Understanding of software development concepts, such as object-oriented programming, design patterns, and algorithms
- Familiarity with cloud-based infrastructure, such as GCP or AWS
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Knowledge of back-end development and scalability of web applications
- Expertise with Relational Databases and SQL Queries
- Expertise with NoSQL / Document Oriented Databases
- Experience working with web development frameworks, such as React or Angular
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid parental leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending Accounts.
- Pay Type Salary
- Costa Rica