Jail Diversion Clinician - Part time- Cape CBHC YMCI
The Jail Diversion Clinician is embedded in the Barnstable Police Department and co-responds with law enforcement to 911 and calls for services to people in the community who are experiencing a crisis. The Jail Diversion Clinician assesses each person’s needs for services and develops a plan that best ensures their safety and optimizes their effective resolution of the crisis. S/he facilitates the person’s engagement or re-engagement in behavioral health services through referral to community based services that are consonant with the person’s needs and preferences.
The Jail Diversion Clinician contributes to Bay Cove’s mission by working effectively with clients, family members, police, community partners, and the ESP team in a professional, hopeful, and respectful manner to ensure that client’s needs are being met. This position is nonexempt.
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A
Essential Functions of Position:
● Actively participate in the ride-along function of the Co-Response model by accompanying first-responding officers to call out situations.
● Provide behavioral health assessments to individuals and families in crisis who encounter the police and provide initial crisis intervention services to individuals in need, along with crisis case management and short-term crisis counseling as
follow-up from initial intervention, when appropriate.
● Maintain linkages with law enforcement and community agencies by providing documented case consultation, program development and problem resolution.
● Assist the person in crisis with engagement or reengagement in needed services, utilizing community based health, behavioral health, and social services that will ameliorate the presenting crisis.
● Provide information and referral services to individuals and families.
● Maintain necessary documentation, data entry, and records in accordance with program requirements.
● Represent the program in a prepared and professional manner at community events, task forces, and public speaking engagements.
● Participate in cross training of law enforcement and ESP staff, attend and actively participate in supervision and staff meetings.
Requirements for the Position:
● Master’s degree in social work, psychology, counseling or a related field required.
● LICSW, LCSW, LMHC, or other behavioral health category which qualifies as Licensed Practitioner of the Healing Arts preferred.
● Two years’ experience working with individuals diagnosed with mental health needs or similar human service needs preferred.
● Demonstrated ability to de-escalate crises in a manner that ensures safety for all involved and provides for the best care and welfare of the person in crisis
● Demonstrated knowledge of varying social and behavioral health services and the nature of the treatment, rehabilitation, and support they offer. Can determine the person's needs for services, refer to the appropriate resource(s), and facilitate the person’s engagement in these services.
● Flexibility to work holidays, evenings and weekends on an as needed basis.
● Professional writing and verbal communications skills.
● High degree of personal organization, attention to detail, and time management skills.
● Proficiency in word processing and other computer functions using Windows, Word, and Google Email and Apps.
● CPR and First Aid certification required within 3 months of hire.
● Ability to assess children and adults in their homes and apartments with stairs.
● Use of personal cellular telephone for work communication.
● Current State issued valid Driver’s License and use of reliable personal vehicle for work related travel.
Additional Barnstable Police Security Requirements:
● Criminal history check
● Work history review
● Social media history review
● Driver history review
● Contact current & former employers
● Interview family/friends/co-workers as permitted
● Check references, personal and professional
● CJIS compliant within 30 days
● Utilizes a flexible and responsible work style that meets evolving needs of the agency.
● Works with integrity and respects the dignity and value of all individuals.
● Exhibits mission through job knowledge, pride in work role, and advocacy.
● Promotes diversity and inclusion of all individuals.
● Works in a collaborative, compassionate manner with stakeholder/ partners.
- Job Family Social Worker-LICSW II
- Pay Type Hourly
- Bourne, MA, USA
- Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA