The Colorado Coalition for the Homeless seeks a Cook to coordinate all facets of the kitchen and meal preparation within the Beacon Place program. This position ensures that all nutritional needs for the residents are met as well as ensuring that all Health Department and other external requirements are followed. This is a kitchen position responsible for the menu planning, food purchasing, cooking, and cleaning within the Beacon Place Transitional Housing Facility. This position is located at 3636 W Colfax, Denver, Colorado 80204 and reports to the Operations Manager.
In addition to the unique challenges and extraordinary rewards of our work, eligible Coalition employees enjoy a rich benefits package, including:
- Health insurance coverage on the first day of employment: full-time employees contribute only 1% of their earnings for their own health coverage and no more than 4% of their earnings for coverage of eligible dependents. We’re proud to offer same- and opposite-sex domestic partner coverage;
- Dental, vision, and flexible spending/dependent care/public transit accounts;
- Free basic life insurance and long-term disability coverage;
- Dollar-for-dollar retirement plan matching contributions up to 5% of earnings;
- Extensive paid time-off, including 8 holidays, 12 days of sick leave, and three weeks of vacation for new full-time employees in their first full year.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides excellent customer service to residents and colleagues.
- Plans nutritional meals and snacks – breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Prepares and serves all meals in a respectful manner.
- Seeks out and incorporates, to as great a degree as possible, resident input into menu planning.
- Ensures that all meals meet nutritional requirements.
- Plans quantities of food needed based on number of residents and service sizes and order accordingly.
- Maintains food costs with budgeted amounts.
- Shops for and/or orders food from local vendors.
- Be aware of and maintains kitchen and dining area per Dept. of Health and Sanitation regulations and internal policies and procedures.
- Monitors upkeep and condition of food service equipment and supplies.
- Attends training provided by the Department of Education for food service as required.
- Ensures all food items are properly labeled and dated.
- Washes and properly stores dishes throughout shift and ensure dishes are accessible to clients for meals.
- Completes nightly cleaning checklist.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Employee must be able to perform essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of self or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Cooking/kitchen experience.
- Experience working in settings with people experiencing homelessness who are, disabled, suffering from mentally illness and/or substance use is preferred.
WHERE A CANDIDATE IS PLACED IN THE COMPENSATION RANGE DEPENDS ON TOTAL RELEVENT YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
- Job Family Social Services
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $20.00
- Max Hiring Rate $23.53
- 3636 W Colfax Ave, Denver, CO 80204, USA