Staff Writer and Photographer - Arlington Catholic Herald
****Please include a cover letter. Only applicants that include a cover letter will be considered at this time.
The Catholic Herald supports the evangelization efforts of the bishop and the diocese by publishing a biweekly Catholic newspaper, online content and videos. The Staff Writer and Photographer writes features and covers local events and newsworthy people and places in order to support the Herald’s newspaper, website and social media.
- Travel around the diocese to cover newsworthy events, people and places.
- Develop stories that inspire and educate the Catholic faithful in northern Virginia.
- Write and revise articles (on average 3-4 a week).
- Work with editors to make any necessary changes to stories in a timely manner, publish stories online and promote them on social media.
- Conduct interviews.
- Take photographs and occasionally produce short videos of people, places and events.
- Process photos and write captions.
- Assist with creation of social media content as needed.
- When time and workload permit, assist the managing editor, editorial assistant and production coordinator in proofreading of biweekly newspaper.
- Knowledge/Skills: Ability to work independently and with self-motivation and creativity to find and complete assignments that are interesting and/or present different angles to inspirational, educational, and informative stories. Ability to be a team player who assists in getting the paper to press each week and manages digital media assets of the Herald/Communications Office. Strong command of the English language and the written word. Strong communication and interviewing skills. Knowledge of AP and HERALD styles. Knowledge of photo/video composition with the ability to use a DSLR camera. Ability to record and assemble short videos. Proficiency in MS Word; basic working knowledge of desktop publishing helpful. Familiarity with Google docs, Trello (or similar project-tracking software) and WordPress websites. Basic knowledge of the Catholic Church, its beliefs and teachings is essential.
- Education Required: Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, or Communications or equivalent degree and experience.
- Licenses/Certifications: Valid driver’s license must be maintained at all times.
- Years and Types of Experience: 2 – 5 years journalism or related experience.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Catholic Diocese of Arlington - Headquarters, 200 North Glebe Road, Arlington, Virginia, United States of America