Food & Beverage Manager
Food & Beverage Manager | Smith Tower Observatory
The F&B Manager is the leader and inspirer of the Observatory Bar and Events food and beverage programs at Smith Tower. You are the point of contact between the daily team members and leadership, helping lead the daily service and events teams to create unforgettable experiences as well as structured execution within the food and beverage department.
Let’s start off with the most important part-what’s in it for you:
*Eligibility of perks is dependent upon job status
- Get Paid Daily (Make any day payday)
- Paid Time Off & Holiday Pay (Because Balance Matters)
- Benefits - Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, 401K, HSA/FSA Plans
- Discounted Lodging, Dining, Spa, Golf, Retail & Partner Perks (Yes, Discounted Travel!)
- Task Force Work Opportunities (Grow your career in idyllic locations across the globe)
- Values Based Culture (#OMGLIFE)
- Culture Add (Creating Space for Fresh Perspectives)
- Referral Bonus (Get Paid to Recruit)
- Employee Assistance Program
- “Columbia Cares” Volunteer Opportunities
- Committee Participation Opportunities (Fun, Philanthropic, Diversity/Equity/Inclusion)
- Online Learning Platform to Help You Develop!
- Incentive Eligible
- Cellphone allowance Eligible
- Parking/Commuter Allowance
Our Commitment to you:
“People never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou’s famous statement serves as a rallying cry throughout Columbia Hospitality and fuels our collective drive - and success.
Our people are our purpose, and our brand is our people. We seek extraordinary individuals who drive our brand promise of Creating Exceptional Experiences. We are a people-first organization, ignited from the inside to succeed on the outside. We are a tight-knit, inclusive, values-driven team and we trust one another to have each other’s backs. We show up every day with open hearts, an inclusive mindset, and a genuine respect for those around us. We have fun, grow together, and strive to leave a positive lasting impression on everyone we meet.
What you’ll do:
The Brass Tacks:
- Prepare weekly schedules for Front of House taking into consideration fluctuations in business to control labor costs.
- Work with venue leaders and Chef to manage menus, monthly inventory, and ordering.
- Submit payroll and gratuity sheets for F&B staff before the deadline for each pay period.
- In coordination with leadership, conduct all hiring for the front of house staff for all outlets.
- Meet with beverage distributors and attend offsite tastings to be up to date with offerings and new products in the market.
- Train, mentor, and supervise all front of house staff in proper service etiquette and test server knowledge about menu offerings.
- Work in coordination with the Chef and leadership in planning private parties and signature events for the food and beverage aspect.
- Oversee all aspects of front of house service for the restaurant(s).
- Manage all aspects of the floor, assigning tables, creating an efficient flow for both front and back of house.
- Empower proper service etiquette in all outlets.
- In coordination with leadership, conduct yearly performance reviews with all year-round front of house staff.
- Work with leadership to promote staff cross training and increase efficiency.
- Work with leadership to develop and maintain a marketing strategy that targets our clientele and draws new customers to the restaurant(s).
- Work with leadership and Chef to increase food and beverage amenities.
- Full understanding and to ensure venue, including F&B staff, are compliant with all City, County, and State food safety protocols.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Nitty Gritty:
- Prior food service supervisory experience.
- The ability to read, write and speak English fluently is required to read, analyze, and interpret regulations. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Computer knowledge including Word, Excel, Outlook, Basic knowledge of POS is preferable.
- Must be flexible and able to perform multiple tasks and work in stressful situations.
- Ability to create a positive team environment within and across departments.
- Strong management skills, including time management, information analysis, planning and organizing, decision making, problem solving, and delivery of results.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget management, expense control, forecasting, COGS, and analysis of financial statements.
- Strong people management skills, including coaching, motivating, delegating, scheduling and relationship-building.
- Must maintain dependable work attendance and flexibility with assigned work schedules including any required overtime, evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to perform essential functions on the computerized Point of Sale system.
- Working knowledge of fine dining and beverage service procedures.
- Working knowledge of applicable state liquor laws and regulations.
- Necessary State Food Handler’s and Liquor Service License(s).
- Craft cocktail knowledge required.
- Strong knowledge of spirits and cocktail history preferred.
- Able to carry 25 pounds up and down one flight of stairs.
Don’t meet every single requirement? At Columbia Hospitality we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles.
Where you’ll work:
In 1914, Smith Tower became the first skyscraper in Seattle, and the tallest building west of the Mississippi River. More than 100 years later, a new Smith Tower visitor experience has reinvigorated this local icon to the delight of visitors and tenants alike. Visitors can now enjoy Smith Tower like they've never seen before. Today, it features an entirely new visitor experience including a ground-floor gathering place with gifts, souvenirs and treats, observational deck and bar where you can enjoy a locally inspired menu of shareable plates and classic cocktails.
Smith Tower carries on its legacy of memory-making through leading tours that provide fascinating insight into the building's renowned past and legendary mysteries, hosting private events, and providing breathtaking views from every angle of the open-air Observatory.
The Fine Print
Columbia Hospitality, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive environment without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. We strive for excellence in every position within the company and select the most qualified people who embrace our service philosophy and these values.
Accountability | Creativity | Enthusiasm | Honesty | Inclusion | Respect
Columbia Hospitality is a national management and consulting company with more than 25 years of experience in creating hospitality solutions and delivering exceptional experiences. Our portfolio includes award-winning hotels and resorts, premier residential communities, restaurants and bars, private and public golf clubs, conference centers, and distinctive venues. Columbia Hospitality has been consistently recognized as one of the Top Companies to Work for in Washington by Seattle Business Magazine and Puget Sound Business Journal for their commitment to creating a fun, dynamic and nurturing work environment for team members.
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $68,500.00
- Max Hiring Rate $72,000.00
- Smith Tower, 506 2nd Ave, 1st Floor, Seattle, Washington, United States of America