Research Scientist (Systems Analyst)
CNA is currently seeking a Research Scientist (Systems Analyst) our Enterprise Systems and Data Analysis (ESDA) division within the Institute for Public Research. As the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is working to balance the needs of increased air traffic demand with integration of new entrants such as drones, air taxis and commercial space launches, they look to CNA to tackle their most complex challenges through data-driven analyses that produces actionable recommendations. You can join a strong team delivering high impact solutions to modernize systems for the collection, management, and distribution of critical aviation data to meet the needs of the face-paced air traffic control environment.
This is an opportunity to advance the mission of the FAA and related aviation stakeholders to enhance the delivery of aviation services for the public good. The Research Scientist (Systems Analyst) will be a key team member, eliciting stakeholder needs, generating and analyzing system requirements, developing and validating functional and system architectures, and evaluating the application and trade-offs of various technologies. This is all while applying an understanding of impacts and considerations on the national airspace system. The role will contribute recommendations based on recent advances, best practices, and gaps in the application of systems to implement modern systems and technologies that advance the future of aviation while continuing to ensure its safety.
CNA fosters an inclusive culture that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Our flexible and engaging work environment encourages iterative and creative collaboration at every stage of the problem solving process. Our employees are committed to helping clients develop effective solutions to better manage their programs through scientific, data-driven approaches. We are looking for creative and innovative individuals to help carry out our mission.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES
1. Routinely produces analysis on structured and unstructured problems that meets CNA’s quality standards with limited direction and general supervision. Demonstrates ability to develop and apply creative and innovative analytic solutions to complex problems with assistance/support from more senior staff. Shows the ability to synthesize analytic results into a broader context. Can lead complex analytic projects with supervision. Begins to make connections and synthesize ideas across multiple, related studies.
2. Develops and maintains deep, specific institutional knowledge and expertise of primary clients/sponsors; their culture, organization, and issues. Uses that knowledge to support training & mentoring of new staff, to support on-going work, and to support development and shaping of new work for existing clients/ sponsors.
3. Balances responsiveness to guidance with independent action. Contributes productively and harmoniously to the work of others; treats everyone respectfully, professionally and fairly. Independently identifies opportunities for collaboration within team, division, and operating unit. Supports supervisor's initiatives and helps make vision a reality. Recognizes and acknowledges contributions from subordinates.
4. Supports business development efforts and/or marketing activities by interacting with CNA managers and current clients/sponsors on securing follow on work (e.g., small grants, or above core projects), expanding or developing new ideas for future projects, and occasionally working with potential clients/sponsors on developing new project ideas. Occasionally serves as internal reviewer of technical proposals.
5. Interacts regularly and independently with clients/sponsors and related parties. Typical interactions are at the "peer equivalent" level, but some level of interaction at senior level. Can effectively represent CNA as an organization.
6. Influences decisions by sponsors/ clients; provide sponsors/clients with implementable recommendations. Occasionally supports efforts to enhance CNA's reputation via publishing and outreach activities.
7. Demonstrates strong and effective communications skills, to include ability to summarize and synthesize larger pieces of work into effective executive summaries/executive briefings. Can effectively present work to more senior and larger audiences. Effectively communicates with & engages colleagues at all levels of the organization.
8. Works under limited direction and general supervision from division management. Can lead projects of low to medium size and/or complexity, as well as significant tasks on large or more complex projects. Effectively manages all aspects of assigned projects, to include delivery of high-quality analytic products on-time, and on-budget.
9. Plays a supporting role in the mentoring and training of new staff individually or as a member of a project team. Regularly demonstrates initiative in pursuing improvements in the quality of our projects and analytic products. Participates in corporate initiatives when asked to do so, and makes contributions to initiatives focused on making CNA a better place to work.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Education: Minimum Master’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience, PhD preferred.
2. Experience: Typical minimum requirements 5+ years of experience in research and analysis.
3. Skills: Ability to work on progressively more difficult projects/analyses, including directing portions of large research projects or small to medium projects under general supervision; Ability to operate independently and proactively in the execution of assignments; Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment; Strong critical thinking skills; Knowledge of research techniques; Strong planning and organizational skills; Excellent interpersonal skills; Strong and effective oral and written communication skills; Ability to interact directly and effectively with clients and influence their decisions.
4. Skills: Ability to work on progressively more difficult projects/analyses, including directing portions of large research projects or small to medium projects under general supervision; Ability to operate independently and proactively in the execution of assignments; Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment; Strong critical thinking skills; Knowledge of research techniques; Strong planning and organizational skills; Excellent interpersonal skills; Strong and effective oral and written communication skills; Ability to interact directly and effectively with clients and influence their decisions.
CNA follows a broad band compensation framework that considers a range of criteria in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience; degree, certifications, other business and organizational needs. Compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $90K – $100K Please visit the following link for benefits information.
***Voluntary (but highly desired) document***
Please include a personal statement as part of your application. A personal statement is a chance for us to get to know you. The statement is your opportunity to share your goals, interests, influences and show us that you will be a valuable asset to our organization. Please click here for personal statement guidelines – Click here
Personal statements will not be used as an elimination criteria for this position. They will only be used to enhance a candidate’s application
CNA is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service and protected veterans, or other non-merit based factors. In addition to federal legal requirements, CNA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. These protections extend to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting and hiring practices, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training and career development programs. For more information about EEO protections, please view the EEO is the law posters here: "EEO is the Law" Poster", "EEO Poster Supplement". The pay transparency policy is available here: Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Poster. To be considered for hire, all individuals applying for positions with CNA are subject to a background investigation. For positions requiring access to classified information, U.S. citizenship is required. Individuals will also be subject to an additional government background investigation, and continued employment eligibility is contingent upon the ability to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
- Job Family Research
- Job Function Career Path I - Research
- Pay Type Salary