Breaking Ground operates nearly 4,000 units of housing across New York City, along with housing in upstate New York and Connecticut. Supportive housing - affordable housing paired with services designed to help people maintain their homes for the long-term - is widely recognized as a proven and cost-effective solution to chronic homelessness.
But we didn't stop at providing housing. Breaking Ground's programs and services help people experiencing street homelessness - especially those who have been on the streets the longest - to come indoors. Through our Street to Home outreach program and transitional housing resources, we help people get, and stay, on the path to a permanent home.
The Prince George
Located in Manhattan, The Prince George offers 416 units of permanent supportive housing to low-income New Yorkers, people living with HIV/AIDS, and chronically homeless individuals, including some with mental illness. The Center for Urban Community Services provides comprehensive onsite social services, and Breaking Ground coordinates property management services. Built in 1904, The Prince George was once one of New York City’s premier hotels and is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Engineer – Property Management
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, the Engineer is a part of the department maintaining the common areas and apartments of our residential buildings. Examples of common areas include offices, multi-purpose rooms, roof deck, garden, trash collection area, lobby, fitness room, and sidewalks. Basic plumbing, wood-working, and electrical work is required to maintain these spaces.
This position has a 35-hour work week.
- Provide routine and preventative maintenance
- Complete regular and emergency electrical and plumbing repairs
- Log and maintain work orders initiated during shift
- Assist the painters and housekeepers when assigned
- Three years of comparable work experience
- High School Diploma, GED, Trade School Diploma, or its equivalent required
- Skilled at operating power tools
- Have basic knowledge of electric and plumbing
- Able to lift and move furniture and appliances and stand for many hours at a stretch
- Able to climb multiple flights of stairs if elevators fail
- Basic knowledge of computer is a plus, not required
- Working with elderly, disabled and/or formerly homeless population is a plus
As part of our continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees and clients, and in compliance with the City of New York COVID-19 Safety Requirement Mandate, Breaking Ground strongly recommends all employees, interns, volunteers, and subcontractors to receive an FDA authorized and/or approved COVID-19 vaccination and provide a one-time verification of immunization as a condition of employment.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $20.88
- Max Hiring Rate $20.88
- The Prince George Residence, 14 East 28th Street, New York, New York, United States of America