Senior Human Resources Generalist
Breaking Ground operates nearly 4,000 units of housing across New York City, along with housing in upstate New York and Connecticut. Supportive housing - affordable housing paired with services designed to help people maintain their homes for the long-term - is widely recognized as a proven and cost-effective solution to chronic homelessness.
But we didn't stop at providing housing. Breaking Ground's programs and services help people experiencing street homelessness - especially those who have been on the streets the longest - to come indoors. Through our Street to Home outreach program and transitional housing resources, we help people get, and stay, on the path to a permanent home.
The Senior Human Resources Generalist oversees the implementation and administration of Human Resources compliance and other programs and processes in field locations to ensure the most effective utilization of employees needed to maximize performance and service delivery. Reporting to the Senior Director of Employee and Labor the generalist ensures that direct support is provided to the field worksite locations. This ambassador of the HR team is an influential, credible, and trusted partner to the Program and Property Management leadership who influences the alignment of HR and Operations by engaging the Program and Property Management leadership to gain acceptance for strategic HR, compliance, communications and other decisions. Specifically, and by directly supporting the Programs and Property Management staff, the Senior Human Resources Generalist will ensure the successful execution of learning and development, performance management, employee relations, labor relations, change management, and career pathing in partnership with Program and Property Management leadership.
- Ensures effective communication with employees, enhances management-employee interaction and ensures consistent policy and procedure application, including progressive discipline, problem resolution, and workforce diversity to maximize employee engagement, effectiveness and growth
- Act as an HR business partner and assists field leadership with compliance with organization and contract requirements
- Supports the execution of HR programs/processes in the areas of performance management, learning and development, employee relations, labor relations and employee engagement
- Collaborates with HR partners (Talent Acquisition, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Benefits and Wellness, Learning and Development, Employee Relations, and Labor Relations) to identify opportunities and gaps in existing programs to meet short and long-term organizational needs
- Supports field leadership in the effective use of temporary employee process throughout the temporary employee life cycle
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Minimum of 5 years’ previous HR experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- SHRM or HRCI Certification highly desired
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Demonstrates teamwork, creativity, a desire for continuous improvement, and commitment to the profession
- Commitment to providing superior customer service
- Ability to interact effectively with people at all levels of the organization
- Thorough organizational skills for prioritizing workload
- Excellent ability to work under pressure, deal with demanding deadlines
- Strong detail orientation
- Advanced technical skills, including but not limited to expert level Word, Excel and PowerPoint, prior experience with systems required
- Experience or demonstrated understanding of social services sector, specifically in the areas of homelessness, mental health and substance use highly preferred
This is a field position with time divided between Program sites (Street t Home, Transitional Housing, and Permanent Housing) and Property Management sites. The Human Resources department works a hybrid schedule; however, the Senior Human Resources Generalist role was created to directly support the field and is a fully onsite position. The Senior Human Resources Generalist will work onsite four days a week in the field worksites and work one day a week from the Breaking Ground administrative offices.
Compensation: $75,000.00 - $75,000.00 / Per Annum
As part of our continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees and clients, and in compliance with the City of New York COVID-19 Safety Requirement Mandate, Breaking Ground strongly recommends all employees, interns, volunteers, and subcontractors to receive an FDA authorized and/or approved COVID-19 vaccination and provide a one-time verification of immunization as a condition of employment.
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $75,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate $75,000.00
- 505 8th Ave, New York, NY 10018, USA