Power Quantitative Analyst
Boston, MA, USA Req #29
Tuesday, September 26, 2023
Boston Energy Trading and Marketing (BETM) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Mitsubishi Corporation, a global integrated business enterprise that develops and operates businesses across virtually every industry. Mitsubishi’s current activities have expanded far beyond its traditional trading operations to include investments and business management in industrial goods, retail, new energy, infrastructure, finance and new technology-related businesses.
Boston Energy Trading and Marketing provides asset management & optimization services to owners of generation and energy storage in North America, and wholesale energy to retail power & gas suppliers. Our proprietary traders cover competitive power markets including New England, Midwest and Western markets. BETM has been optimizing our customers’ generation assets for over 15 years. Our current organization has its roots in Citizens Power, dating back to 1989 when Citizens obtained the first FERC power marketing license and market-based-rate authorization. Mitsubishi’s Diamond Generating acquired BETM from NRG Energy in August 2018, and prior to 2014 BETM was known as Edison Mission Marketing and Trading. Mitsubishi's provides BETM with investment-grade credit support for BETM’s commercial activities.
Purpose: Responsible for development and execution of model-driven trading strategies for the wholesale power markets
Reports to: SVP, Energy Trading and Analytics
Boston Energy Trading and Marketing (“BETM”) is looking for a Power Quantitative Analyst to join its Analytics team in support of developing and executing model-driven trading strategies for the wholesale power markets. The successful candidate will possess strong quantitative and data analytics skills with a demonstrated ability to model systems. The candidate must be adept at working independently as well as have strong collaborative capabilities across the Analytics, Trading, IT, and Risk teams. This position will report to the head of the Energy Trading and Analytics team and will be located in our Boston, MA office.
We expect to develop the successful candidate via a series of supervised projects to the point that the individual is prepared to support the following responsibilities:
- Identify target opportunities in wholesale power markets around which trading strategies can be developed
- Incorporate disparate data sets to support coherent, fundamentals-driven modeling of supply and demand in power markets at regional and macro levels utilizing state-of-the-art forecasting and the latest available infrastructure intelligence to realistically predict market behavior. Markets of interest include all North American RTO power markets (PJM, CAISO, NYISO, MISO, SPP, ISO-NE, ERCOT) and modeling efforts will be applied both to originating new models and assisting the team in maintaining and upgrading existing models
- Develop models which produce commercially useful forecasts and trading signals
- Implement operationally reliable trading models in software for incorporation into BETMs proprietary model-driven trading platform
- Assist in the daily execution of trading model portfolio and tracking of portfolio P&L
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, Science, or equivalent quantitative study, is required. A graduate degree is desirable
- General experience with optimization techniques, such as linear programming, statistical analysis and fitting models to data, using regression and/or machine learning techniques, and/or power systems modeling is desirable
- Specific experience with wholesale nodal power markets, economic dispatch, and production cost simulation, and the ability to perform load flow analysis with tools such as Powerworld is preferred
- Extensive experience in quantitative modeling using interactive computational platforms such as Python, R, MATLAB, or similar, using modern data structures, analysis, and visualization tools in production Windows and/or Linux environments is required. Experience in configuring and managing production computational environments is desirable
- The successful candidate will demonstrate attention to detail, diligence, curiosity, confidence, and creativity, and possess strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills. The successful candidate will have the ability to assist the team in establishing plans to achieve goals in the presence of ambiguity, and the ability to plan/manage multiple priorities while remaining committed to deadlines in a demanding environment, and will be willing to work overtime when required
- Works well in an open office environment
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
- Job Family BETM
- Pay Type Salary
This posting is inactive.
- Boston, MA, USA