Senior Systems Administrator
The Senior Systems Administrator has a key role within the Fikes Inc. IT team. You will be responsible for providing support to all server infrastructure, diagnostic and problem resolution for all infrastructure hardware, software, and related peripheral devices. This role strategically plans, implements, maintains, and actively optimizes both on-premises datacenter infrastructure (servers, storage, backup) and cloud infrastructure (compute, storage, security) to ensure the highest uptime availability, reliability, and cost efficiency across the enterprise. This position will implement, run, and maintain solutions that include Office 365, Windows Server, VMware, SAN storage, Disaster Recovery processes, etc. The Sr Systems Administrator will evaluate and roadmap upgrades and leverage new industry technologies for ongoing IT transformation.
At The Fikes Companies, our Mission is to build a highly successful company which our employees are proud of, our customers value, and the communities we serve can count on.
- Defines and executes the processes for system installations, system maintenance and upgrades to both internal and cloud-based computer hardware and software systems.
- Provides guidance on new technologies, implementation plans, business impact, etc.
- Proposes and implements system enhancements that will improve the reliability, performance, and cost efficiency of systems.
- Adheres to standard Change Management processes.
- Defines the company’s IT standards, processes and practices for enterprise infrastructure related systems and platforms.
- Functions as owner of system disaster recovery planning, maintenance, and execution of test validations.
- Architects and administrates cloud system and data infrastructure, evaluates, and proposes the leverage of cloud-based tools and new technologies.
- Evaluates, recommends, schedules, and implements system hardware and/or software upgrades, patches, configuration changes and repairs.
- Leverages industry and vendor relationships to research, evaluate, and recommend new and emerging software and hardware tools and platforms.
- Acts as owner and gatekeeper of hardware support and maintenance agreements, software licensing, system certificate expiration tracking and renewals.
- Oversees Website hosting platform and web domain management.
- Infrastructure key relationship lead for new products and support service interaction with major vendor partners: Microsoft, HP, Dell, RingCentral, Carbon Black, Azure, VMWare, and others.
- Works with core IT network and server administrators in systems management (security, patching, etc.), as well as necessary troubleshooting.
- Support on-prem and private/public cloud infrastructure.
- Ensures system performance optimization in production environments along with capacity management.
- Supports Office 365 and other email/collaboration platforms.
- Installs, configures, modifies, moves and/or relocates infrastructure equipment.
- Engages with external partners to resolve support and warranty issues.
- Processes timely and accurate information to ensure compliance with vendor warranty requirements.
- Helps define key metrics for monitoring infrastructure along with SLA’s for supporting availability.
- Provides, reviews, and updates troubleshooting/procedure documentation and knowledge base articles.
BA/BS degree and 10+ years relevant experience OR equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- 6+ years’ experience implementing, configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting:
- Microsoft Azure
- VMWare 6.7 and up
- ESXi Hosts
- Exchange and Office 365 Platform
- Microsoft Operating systems (e.g., Server 2016, 2019, and 2022, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, Group Policies, and Security).
- Backup and disaster recovery solutions.
- Understanding of ITIL, Agile & Waterfall Methodologies preferred.
- Understanding security ‘best practices.’
- Ability to put together formal project plans for technology changes. Should have examples of previous technology recommendations and be able to discuss the methodology used for recommendations.
- Ability to formally present data to drive the decision-making process for technology opportunities.
- Experience working on multiple projects; 3-5 at varying stages.
Experience with Windows Operating Systems, Microsoft Office products, network printing and troubleshooting, Office 365, mainstream software products, security best practices and methodology, LAN/WAN fundamentals; proven experience in solving complex problems for individuals or teams. Experience with analyzing and identifying the strengths and weaknesses of options and exercising critical thinking, problem solving, and judgment skills; strong work ethic, as well as the ability to prioritize and complete all job responsibilities in a timely manner; demonstrated ability to multi-task, make independent decisions and manage conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment with timeline pressures. Must be responsive and willing to take ownership of issues and drive solutions. Have a recent history of developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others and maintaining them over time. Possess a positive attitude and willingness to work in a constantly changing customer-driven environment; possess excellent time management and organizational skills and experience establishing guidelines in these areas for others; ability to lead via influence and collaboration, have a strong sense of personal accountability regarding decision-making; ability to predict challenges and seek to proactively head-off obstacles; experience working in a high-level collaborative environment and promoting a teamwork mentality. Must have recent experience applying analytical thinking and critical thinking skills; excellent skills with Microsoft SQL Server 2012, 2016, and 2019, administration and architecting of Azure Cloud workloads, HP Nibble or other tier 1 SAN technologies, and proven experience moving systems from on-prem to cloud, and knowledge of PCI Compliance standards and ITIL foundation principles.
The Fikes Companies is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Pay Type Salary
- Temple, TX, USA