Breaking News Editorial Writer
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com
This is a new position at the Austin American-Statesman.
News happens in Austin, instantly and outrageously, and often leaves our community speechless and asking, what just happened.
We seek a journalist who can ride that surge and write breaking editorials accurately, with context, and smarts. It’s a dream job in the 10th largest city in the United States.
The Austin American-Statesman, a Pulitzer Prize finalist in 2023, seeks a wordsmith who is proficient at writing local opinion pieces that resonate with the community and are produced at the speed of breaking news. The writer will join an award-winning Opinion staff, under the guidance of Editorial Page Editor Juan Castillo, one of the most distinguished and influential voices in Austin and Central Texas.
So, what do we seek for this “Opinion surge” role?
- Experience in a data-driven and a fact-driven approach to opinion reporting and analysis.
- A writer who can identify trending and breaking news and react quickly.
- Ability to write cogently, incisively, with a quick turn-around is a must. The writer can be tasked to produce daily opinion pieces.
- Intellectual curiosity for news, with a heavy thumb on all things local and state. The candidate should be passionate about holding elected officials and government agencies accountable.
- This writer will make an impact on thoughtful and fast-moving conversations on important and timely issues in Austin and across Texas.
Some more background on coverage and the job:
Austin is home to state government and intense debates on culture wars, the homeless, government accountability, gun violence, immigration, education, climate change and other topics. Our Texas politics routinely draw national scrutiny.
The writer will also work closely with the Editorial Page Editor on local election planning editorials, projects, policy, and candidate endorsements. The writer will be asked to contribute, on occasion, as an editor.
The post requires the ability develop relationships with diverse sources of information on a broad range of topics and issues; have a reporter’s mindset, such as being willing to attend meetings or events during or outside of “traditional” work hours, cultivating new sources, and digging for news before it breaks.
The job allows for creatively engaging with our audience through social media, understanding digital publication, SEOs and identifying multimedia opportunities for audience growth.The writer must not be shy about appearing on camera.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 years of demonstrated writing and editing experience in a newsroom.
- Experience in editorial writing and a proficiency in Spanish is highly preferred.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check and drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Media
- Job Function Content Production
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Austin, TX, USA