Election Reporting Fellow, Utah
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com
Election Reporting Fellow, Utah
The USA Today Network’s statehouse reporting fellowship program expands the coverage of the country’s largest news publisher at a critical time as we serve audiences with local, regional and national election journalism.
The USA Today Network is seeking an enterprising, collaborative, and scoop-driven journalist to anchor its reporting on the Utah statehouse. This reporter will cover the governor, legislative leaders, state budget, and taxes, but the key focus area will be on the election races and policies affecting citizens, businesses, the workforce, and the country at large.
This is an opportunity to write explanatory and informative journalism that will define Utah politics for a statewide and national audience.
This role is based in Salt Lake City, Utah, with some travel throughout the state expected.
This full-time fellowship runs until December 27, 2024, and will pay $21.41 per hour. The start date can be flexible for the right candidate. This role is benefits eligible, and fellows will be able to enroll in Gannett’s insurance, 401(k), and other benefit programs.
- Deliver original reporting on the action in the statehouse
- Dig deeply into the election races and policy proposals that will have real impact on local citizens
- Place the audience as your top priority in story selection and writing approach
- Help voters make informed decisions by contributing to our sweeping voter guide initiative
- Cover local and statewide issues happening outside the capital as warranted, such as covering an intense school board race elsewhere in the state
- Contribute to network-wide brainstorms and projects, bringing your expertise to inform on the most important issues in Utah
The right candidate:
- Has proven experience in a digital news environment filing accurate, concise, and clean copy on deadline
- Has a robust understanding of what’s happening in Utah politics and across the country to create conversation-starting journalism
- Is infinitely curious and always has a story idea ready to go
- Can manage time wisely, balancing short-turn stories with deeper investigations
- Enjoys collaborating with editors and writers across the network on breaking news and special packages
- Ensures our coverage includes a diversity of ideas, perspectives, and voices
- Upholds Gannett’s standards of journalistic rigor, accuracy, and fairness.
- Will have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family General
- Job Function Fellow
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Salt Lake City, UT, USA