Master Field Technician
The primary function of this position is to independently troubleshoot, remove, install, replace, re-build, repair, & test parts/equipment on construction equipment at an expert level while working in the field
- Check the equipment and supplies required to perform the work scheduled, comply with PPE requirements, and otherwise prepare for duties.
- Uses manuals, repair manuals, parts manuals, parts diagrams to troubleshoot construction equipment.
- Uses lift trucks, overhead cranes, & other aides to lift or move parts into position to be repaired.
- Uses hand & power tools to remove, install, replace, re-build, repair, & test parts/equipment on construction equipment.
- Uses multiple resources and computers to reference parts, get information about parts & enter data into record systems.
- Uses tools to disassemble/re assemble parts or equipment; cleans parts with rags, cleaners, power washer; uses test equipment to make diagnostic checks; and uses powered equipment or tools to make repairs.
- Climbs up onto, under, & into vehicles to gain access to all parts of vehicle.
- Uses overhead hoists, lift devices, forklifts & other aides to move items off vehicle (tracks, idler wheels, blades, etc.) & then to move parts to locations for disassembly, repair, then back to the vehicle for reassembly.
- Performs inspections, do preventative maintenance, change oil, replace filters, belts, coolants, hoses, may drain/clean/refill fuel systems.
- Uses welders to weld frames, and use power grinders to grind welds smooth
- Lift/carry and position hydraulic rams used to install press fit items
- Uses power washers & spray paint equipment to clean & paint vehicle.
- Uses instruments and computers to reprogram equipment controllers.
- Resolve various complex machine issues with Cat and Technical Service
Education: Must have a high school education or GED.
Work Experience: Eight years of experience with Cat equipment or other similar equipment; Must fully understand all four mechanical systems (i.e. transmissions, engines, hydraulics, etc.) for numerous model lines.
Physical: Must be able to daily and repeatedly stoop, kneel, bend and climb beside, onto and underneath various equipment to perform diagnosis and repairs. Must be able to effectively see to perform repairs, research technical manuals, and develop written repair work order reports. Must be able to routinely and physically lift/position various parts to perform repairs/service and manually handle parts up to 112 pounds, as well as use mechanical hoist for heavier parts.
Other: Must be able to effectively document repair activities on customer work orders. Must have cognitive reasoning and problem solving skills to apply knowledge, written information and verbal instructions in repairing/servicing unusual and/or unknown technical equipment operational problems. Should have basic proficiency using P.C. base equipment and parts information and the ability to learn and use various diagnostic and troubleshooting software; Can work independently with minimal supervision.
Field Activity- Must be able to daily operate an assigned service vehicle as well as be prequalified to operate under GPEC Fleet Policy Standards. The driver must be able to operate their assigned vehicle for extended periods in order to reach customer’s locations. Must be able to effectively communicate using telephones to receive instructions and to provide service information. Must be able to effectively deal directly with customers at site locations in a professional manner.
Additional: Field activities require a valid state driver’s license (obtain within 30 days of hire a valid license within the state of GPEC’s operation) AND possess a safe driving record which meets the safe driving standards outlined in the GPEC Fleet Policy. Operation of some vehicles will require a valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), others may require that the driver possess a DOT medical certification. Some positions may require that you obtain a DOT medical certification before you are considered for the position. All positions that require driving for company business or within a Company Owned Vehicle will be held to the standards of the GPEC Fleet Policy.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Your supervisor may request and assign you similar duties. Any major modification of this job role requires Human Resources approval.
Gregory Poole Equipment Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education High School
- 4807 Beryl Rd, Raleigh, NC 27606, USA