Career Consultant - OOD Part-Time
Goodwill's Mission: Transforming the lives of the individuals with disabilities and other barriers through pathways to independence and the power of work.
Up to 29 hours a week
With the understanding that business and employers are key customers of the workforce development system, apply knowledge of modern job search, recruitment and retention strategies to assist participants with disabilities and other barriers to develop necessary skills to obtain, maintain and advance in competitive employment in the context of the participants’ individualized career goals.
Essential Job Functions
- Speak the language of business and the employer marketplace. Understand that business and employers are key customers of the workforce development system.
- Access, analyze, and use local, state, and national electronic and non-electronic labor market information delivery systems and databases to assist participants to explore, set and achieve goals.
- Deliver and apply knowledge of modern job search, recruitment and retention strategies to assist participants in achieving career goals. Provide customer with career exploration and job development skills.
- Create an environment that enables all individuals to contribute to their fullest potential. Identify and implement innovative methods and adapt materials to meet needs of and deliver services to diverse or special populations.
- Identify the kinds of information individuals need, including assessment, to assist participants to make realistic career decisions, and direct participants to the information as well as developing training plans that address employer needs and job-seeker capabilities.
- Place appropriate emphasis on “excellence” and “speed of response” in work performance. Respond quickly to customer requests.
- Identify customer needs and expectations to create positive customer satisfaction. Listen to customer concerns and solicit feedback.
- Understand the importance of accountability and record maintenance.
- Listen to customer concerns and protect customer confidentiality. Display empathy and caring. Make appropriate referrals.
- Understand the process and assist individuals to identify goals, to build skills, as well as prepare for, search for, obtain, retain, advance, and change employment
- Provide direct job coaching and training to individuals with disabilities and other barriers. Demonstrate and teach specific on-the-job duties and soft-skills such as work ethic, communication, and reliability.
- Possesses analytical and observation skills that coupled with knowledge and information can lead to effective problem solving assistance. Seeks additional resources when needed for problem resolution. Takes action required to prevent problem reoccurrence. Takes personal responsibility for solving problems.
- Demonstrate knowledge of federal, state, and local workforce development programs, funding guidelines, and workforce development codes. Interpret current laws and structure to deliver appropriate services, and understands how their own work impacts the system’s goals.
- Applies principles of caseload management to successfully work with large numbers of people. Uses indicators and established instruments to evaluate and document program performance and outcomes.
- Work onsite with customers to observe work performance and offer job coaching. Communicate with site to ensure satisfaction.
- Provide on-site training and coaching to customers at employment or internship sites. Discuss concerns and accomplishments, set up reasonable accommodations, and serve as a liaison between the customer and employer.
- Develop job leads and internship opportunities with prospective employers. Identify and refer suitable and appropriate candidates that meet employers hiring needs.
- Maintain accurate reports to document the progress of each customer. Utilize Goodtrak to accurately input and summarize data.
Ancillary Job Functions
- Provide job coaching and reinforcement to help customers maintain employment beyond successful case closure.
- Facilitate customers’ transition to competitive employment. Coordinate necessary interviews, assessments, and orientations.
- Transport individuals to and from job search activities, as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Teach and reinforce appropriate work readiness skills to assist customers with obtaining and maintaining employment.
- Writes case notes, memos, reports and other correspondence using appropriate grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Enter case notes and related reports into Goodtrak to document services to each customer.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience – An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Human Resources, Education, or Counseling, or the equivalent combination of education and experience with a minimum of four years of experience in Workforce Development, Outplacement, Recruitment, or Vocational Counseling.
- Requires certification in CPR and First Aid as well as crisis intervention training, as needed.
- Must have valid OH driver’s license and personal auto insurance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities which may be representative, but not all-inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Engage customers, colleagues, agencies, and partner associates in a positive, professional manner.
- Communicate with internal and external customers. Ask questions for clarification. Share information in a timely manner. Use communication skills and teamwork to maximize opportunities.
- Value and demonstrate public relations skills and marketing skills. Leverage resources from both internal and external customers.
- Understand the basic principles of teamwork and actively participates in team activities
- Values the development of professional networks. Knowledge of business-to-business relationship building and sales, marketing, and business principals.
- Must have good listening skills and ability to coach participants for job success.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and basic office equipment/machines.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work as well as concentrate on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and make responsible decisions.
- Ability to use good judgment and think quickly and rationally in difficult or stressful situations.
Work Environment – Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
- General office conditions. Exposed to moderate noise levels.
Physical Abilities that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Light sedentary office work, such as typing, speaking on the phone, and using a computer to enter data.
- Must be able to sit, stand and/or walk for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to have repetitive wrist, hand and/or finger movement to type and work on computer.
- Must have finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination to work on computer, telephone, and related office equipment.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 15 pounds
- Be able to travel, as needed.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function.
At Goodwill, we'll help you reach your potential while you help others reach theirs. Want to enjoy coming to work? So do we!
Our full-time benefits include:
- Promotion and Growth Opportunities
Health, Dental and Vision insurance the 1st of the month after 30 days
Voluntary life, short-term disability, accident, and critical illness
Paid time off
- Employee Discount at all Goodwill Columbus Stores
Goodwill Columbus is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For more information, we invite you to visit our website at www.goodwillcolumbus.org
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $20.00
- Travel Required Yes
- Travel % 20
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- 605 S Front St, Columbus, OH 43215, USA