Career Consultant-Non-Driver-Ohio Means Jobs
Goodwill's Mission: Transforming the lives of the individuals with disabilities and other barriers through pathways to independence and the power of work.
With the understanding that business and employers are key customers of the workforce development system, apply knowledge of modern job search, recruitment and retention strategies to assist participants with disabilities and other barriers to develop necessary skills to obtain, maintain and advance in competitive employment in the context of the participants’ individualized career goals.
Essential Job Functions
- Understand the process and assist individuals to identify goals, to build skills, as well as prepare for, search for, obtain, retain, advance, and change employment.Deliver and apply knowledge of modern job search, recruitment and retention strategies to assist participants in achieving career goals.Provide customer with career exploration and job development skills.Access, analyze, and use local, state, and national electronic and non-electronic labor market information delivery systems and databases to assist participants to explore, set and achieve goals.
- Identify the kinds of information individuals need, including assessment, to assist participants to make realistic career decisions, and direct participants to the information as well as developing training plans that address employer needs and job-seeker capabilities.
- Provide direct job coaching and training to individuals with disabilities and other barriers before, during and after site placement.Demonstrate and teach specific on-the-job duties and soft-skills such as work ethic, communication, work performance, and reliability.Discuss concerns and accomplishments, set up reasonable accommodations, and serve as a liaison between the customer and employer.Communicate with site to ensure satisfaction.
- Develop job leads and internship opportunities with prospective employers.Identify and refer suitable and appropriate candidates that meet employers hiring needs.
- Speak the language of business and the employer marketplace. Understand that business and employers are key customers of the workforce development system.
- Demonstrate knowledge of federal, state, and local workforce development programs, funding guidelines, and workforce development codes.Interpret current laws and structure to deliver appropriate services and understand how their own work impacts the system’s goals.
- Possess analytical and observation skills that coupled with knowledge and information can lead to effective problem-solving assistance. Seek additional resources when needed for problem resolution. Takes action required to prevent problem reoccurrence. Takes personal responsibility for solving problems.
- Apply principles of caseload management to successfully work with large numbers of people.Use indicators and established instruments to evaluate and document program performance and outcomes.Maintain accurate reports to document the progress of each customer.Utilize database management systems to accurately input and summarize data.
- Create an environment that enables all individuals to contribute to their fullest potential. Identify and implement innovative methods and adapt materials to meet needs of and deliver services to diverse or special populations.
- Identify customer needs and expectations to create positive customer satisfaction. Listen to and respond quickly to customer concerns and solicit feedback, protect customer confidentiality.Display empathy and caring.Make appropriate referrals.
Ancillary Job Functions
- Facilitate customers’ transition to competitive employment.Coordinate necessary interviews, assessments, and orientations.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience – An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Human Resources, Education, or Counseling, or the equivalent combination of education and experience with a minimum of four years of experience in Workforce Development, Outplacement, Recruitment, or Vocational Counseling.
- Requires certification in CPR and First Aid as well as crisis intervention training, as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities which may be representative, but not all-inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Engage customers, colleagues, agencies, and partner associates in a positive, professional manner.
- Communicate with internal and external customers. Ask questions for clarification. Share information in a timely manner. Use communication skills and teamwork to maximize opportunities.
- Value and demonstrate public relations skills and marketing skills. Leverage resources from both internal and external customers.
- Understand the basic principles of teamwork and actively participates in team activities
- Values the development of professional networks.Knowledge of business-to-business relationship building and sales, marketing, and business principals.
- Must have good listening skills and ability to coach participants for job success.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and basic office equipment/machines.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work as well as concentrate on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and make responsible decisions.
- Ability to use good judgment and think quickly and rationally in difficult or stressful situations.
Work Environment – Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
- General office conditions.Exposed to moderate noise levels.
Physical Abilities that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Light sedentary office work, such as typing, speaking on the phone, and using a computer to enter data.
- Must be able to sit, stand and/or walk for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to have repetitive wrist, hand and/or finger movement to type and work on computer.
- Must have finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination to work on computer, telephone, and related office equipment.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 15 pounds
- Be able to travel, as needed.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function.
Date Issued:________________Approved: ____________________________
I understand that:
- This job description provides a general summary of the position in which I am employed.Based on the contents of this job description and job requirements, at this time, I know of no limitations which would prevent me from performing these functions with or without reasonable accommodation. I further understand that it is my responsibility to inform my supervisor if at any time I am unable to perform these functions.
- Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind, and that my employment is at-will.
- I have read and understand this job description.
At Goodwill, we'll help you reach your potential while you help others reach theirs. Want to enjoy coming to work? So do we!
Our full-time benefits include:
- Promotion and Growth Opportunities
- Company paid life and long-term disability insurance
Health, Dental and Vision insurance the 1st of the month after 30 days
Voluntary life, short-term disability, accident, and critical illness
Paid time off
- Employee Discount at all Goodwill Columbus Stores
Goodwill Columbus is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For more information, we invite you to visit our website at www.goodwillcolumbus.org
- Pay Type Hourly
- Travel Required No
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- 1111 E Broad St, Columbus, OH 43205, USA