Defense Litigation - Toxic Tort Associate
Founded in 1856, Harris Beach and its subsidiaries provide a full range of legal and professional services for clients across New York state, as well as nationally and internationally. Harris Beach is among the country’s top law firms as ranked by The National Law Journal. Clients include Fortune 100 corporations, privately-held companies, emerging businesses, public sector entities, not-for-profit organizations and individuals. Principal industries Harris Beach represents include education, energy, financial, food and beverage, health care, insurance, manufacturing, medical and life sciences, real estate developers, and state and local governments and authorities. The firm’s more than 200 lawyers practice among offices throughout New York state in Albany, Buffalo, Ithaca, New York City, Rochester, Saratoga Springs, Syracuse, Uniondale, Washington, D.C. and White Plains, as well as in New Haven, Connecticut and Newark, New Jersey.
Location: Albany, Buffalo, Ithaca, Rochester, or Syracuse NY offices (Hybrid remote opportunity)
Description: We are seeking an associate to add to our national Mass Torts and Industry-Wide Litigation team to support our growing business. Given the global nature of our firm and broad reach of practice, this role will involve working collaboratively with colleagues in all of our offices.
- Research various issues and collaborate with senior attorneys about strategies
- Taking and defending depositions on a regular basis
- Manage discovery and e-discovery as needed
- Draft reports to clients, memoranda, pleadings, motions, etc., including significant and complex motion practice
- Participate in trial/ADR planning and preparation
- Represent clients at courtroom appearances
- 3+ years of chemical exposure/toxic tort case experience required
- Juris Doctorate from ABA-accredited law school
- NY and NJ admission (or ability to waive into NJ) required
- Meaningful state and federal experience required
- Must have proven, superior writing skills
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Must have strong deposition, motion, pleading, and e-discovery experience
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented and possess excellent research skills
- Maintains high standards of performance
- Quick learner who is comfortable working in a fast-paced, team environment
- Ability to work independently and manage competing deadlines in a timely manner
- Exhibits conscientiousness, dedication, self-discipline, and a sense of responsibility
- Must have a professional, cooperative, positive and flexible attitude
- Ability to work with diverse personalities within various levels of the organization
- Must exhibit well-developed interpersonal and client relation skills
- Military experience welcome
Harris Beach is committed to an inclusive environment and we welcome applications from diverse candidates. Harris Beach PLLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Salary information below will vary depending upon relevant experience for the position and geographic locations.
The firm’s policy prohibiting unlawful discrimination applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, placement, assignment of duties, training, promotion, compensation & benefits and termination. It is the policy of Harris Beach PLLC that all applicants and employees enjoy a positive, respectful and productive work environment, free from behavior, actions or language constituting unlawful harassment. Accordingly, harassment or discrimination of any kind based on an individual’s race or color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, military status, genetic predisposition, carrier status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, creed, domestic violence victim status or any other legally protected status is strictly prohibited. Harris Beach complies with the provisions of the Human Rights Law, all other State and Federal statutory and constitutional non-discrimination provisions including non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $118,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate $145,000.00