Administrative Assistant - Defense Litigation
Founded in 1856, Harris Beach and its subsidiaries provide a full range of legal and professional services for clients across New York state, as well as nationally and internationally. Harris Beach is among the country’s top law firms as ranked by The National Law Journal. Clients include Fortune 100 corporations, privately-held companies, emerging businesses, public sector entities, not-for-profit organizations and individuals. Principal industries Harris Beach represents include education, energy, financial, food and beverage, health care, insurance, manufacturing, medical and life sciences, real estate developers, and state and local governments and authorities. The firm’s more than 200 lawyers practice among offices throughout New York state in Albany, Buffalo, Ithaca, New York City, Rochester, Saratoga Springs, Syracuse, Uniondale, Washington, D.C. and White Plains, as well as in New Haven, Connecticut and Newark, New Jersey.
Location: New York, NY (hybrid remote opportunity)
Description: The individual will perform administrative assistant responsibilities such as transcribing and preparing as well as serving pleadings, discovery demands/responses and motions, transcribing and uploading client reports and memoranda and communicating with outside counsel. This position requires defense litigation experience and knowledge of litigation processes including filing procedures in state (New York and New Jersey) and federal courts (e-filing). Using excellent time management skills and providing quick turnaround of documents while ensuring accuracy of documentation is essential.
- Provide high level administrative litigation support to multiple attorneys
- Transcribing and typing correspondence, memoranda and legal forms
- Proofreading and ensuring quality of legal documents (formatting, using templates etc.)
- Respond to a high volume of phone calls; transmit messages accurately and promptly
- Maintain organized and updated litigation files and billing files
- Maintain updated matter and client lists
- Maintain calendars and schedule appointments, meetings and conference calls
- Review and prepare new client matter forms
- Process check requests and expense reimbursements
- Process incoming and outgoing mail
- Document scanning, profiling and retrieval
- Assemble deposition prep and/or trial prep binders
- Retrieve public documents and/or filings om
- Compare (Redline/Blackline) documents
- Perform other additional administrative duties as needed
- Minimum 5 years of legal experience as a Legal Administrative Assistant
- Defense litigation experience required, Medical Malpractice experience is a plus
- Bachelor's degree is a plus
- Must be efficient in document production and accuracy
- Must have intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Word, Outlook, PDF-A, Excel and PowerPoint, including advanced skills in the use of TOCs, TOAs and styles
- Experience using traditional and digital methods of dictation
- Must exhibit well-developed interpersonal and client relation skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills required
- Military experience welcome
Salary information below will vary depending upon relevant experience for the position, geographic locations and weekly hours schedule. The anticipated weekly schedule for the Administrative Assistant is 35 hours per week.
Harris Beach is committed to an inclusive environment and we welcome applications from diverse candidates. Harris Beach PLLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The firm’s policy prohibiting unlawful discrimination applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, placement, assignment of duties, training, promotion, compensation & benefits and termination. It is the policy of Harris Beach PLLC that all applicants and employees enjoy a positive, respectful and productive work environment, free from behavior, actions or language constituting unlawful harassment. Accordingly, harassment or discrimination of any kind based on an individual’s race or color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, military status, genetic predisposition, carrier status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, creed, domestic violence victim status or any other legally protected status is strictly prohibited. Harris Beach complies with the provisions of the Human Rights Law, all other State and Federal statutory and constitutional non-discrimination provisions including non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $32.97
- Max Hiring Rate $43.96