Mobile Crisis Outreach Team Palmdale - Peer Support Specialist
Sycamores is partnering with the 988 mental health crisis hotline to provide support to people experiencing a mental health crisis. The 988 hotline will provide initial phone support to all callers and triage calls to the Sycamores Mobile Crisis Outreach teams for in person support.
The Mobile Crisis Outreach Team responds 24/7, 365 days a year, broken down by shifts. The Mobile Crisis Outreach Peer Support Specialist will respond, in conjunction with the MCOT clinician, to provide timely support including crisis stabilization, safety planning, community resources and provide follow up support. Utilizing the Mobile Crisis Outreach Team van to respond to calls, this role is an integral part of the Sycamores larger Mobile Crisis Outreach Team (MCOT) including close partnerships with the 988 call center, police, sheriff, psychiatric hospitals and ambulance transport companies.
The Mobile Crisis Outreach Peer Support Specialist has lived experience as a recipient of mental health services, and/or houselessness and/or system involvement, and can utilize these unique personal, practical, valuable experiences, and first-hand insight to benefit the team and consumers i.e., Adults, Youth, Children and their families as well as the community.
The Mobile Crisis Outreach Team Peer Support Specialist provides the MCOT with expertise about the recovery process, symptom management, and consumers persistence to lead a satisfying life in society. Mobile Crisis Outreach Peer Support Specialist is also responsible for providing care, advocating for client voice and choice, self-determination, and decision-making in the planning, delivery, and evaluation of treatment, rehabilitation, and support services. Mobile Crisis Outreach Peer Support Specialist will provide consultation to consumers regarding community resources, crisis intervention, and available community services i.e. housing, mental health services, medical treatment and substance abuse services.
The Mobile Crisis Outreach Department evaluates the individual in “crisis” out in the field and takes measures to ensure the individuals safety (i.e., If clinically necessary, the MCOT Peer Support Specialist works with the Clinician in locating hospitals, ambulances, coordinating care etc.…). The MCOT team responds to an individuals need for in person evaluation for safety within specified geographical area (i.e., Antelope Valley or San Fernando Valley or San Gabriel Valley). The MCOT team utilizes Sycamores vehicles to co-respond (two staff at a time) to provide added support and security measures.
STARTING PAY RANGE:
$66,560 - $68,500 per year for Full-Time employment (starting pay will be based on previous work experience and educational background.)
Monday – Friday: 3pm -11pm
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent degree.
- Be self-identified as having experience with the process of recovery from a mental illness or substance use disorder, either as a consumer of these services.
- Be willing to share their lived experience
- Have a strong dedication to recovery.
- Agree, in writing, to adhere to the Code of Ethics.
- Certification in Peer Support is preferred but not required. If not certified, upon hire the peer support specialist must successfully complete the training requirements for a peer support specialist and pass the certification examination or go through the process to become certified.
- Valid California Driver License and a driving record acceptable to the Agency’s insurance carrier.
- Ability to use agency vehicle with appropriate insurance for all transporting consumers and adhering to federal, state and local motor vehicle safety standards when transporting children.
- Maintains all required licenses and certifications.
- The ability to physically manage and/or de-escalate consumers/residents.
- Frequent driving in the community with consumers.
- Frequent/continuous intermittent standing/walking, occasional/intermittent sitting.
- Continuous use of bilateral upper extremities in fine motor activities requiring fingering, grasping, and forward reaching between waist and chest level.
- Reaching at or above shoulder level may be necessary.
- Bending, squatting, kneeling, pushing/pulling, twisting and climbing.
- Occasional/intermittent lifting and carrying objects/equipment weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Continuous use of near vision, hearing and verbal communication skills in handling telephone calls, interacting with customers and co-workers and performing job duties.
- Requires physical presence in the office during shift.
- Ability to practice physical intervention for safety of consumers according to training and policy.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
All candidates who are presented with a conditional offer of employment must satisfy a pre-employment background check, drug and health screen.
Sycamores is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Further, Sycamores is a Fair Chance employer and complies with California Government Code Section 12952, Employment Discrimination: Conviction History.
Due to the direct contact, we have with vulnerable populations, services we perform in the community, relevant CDPH orders, and CDC guidance, Sycamores mandates COVID-19 vaccinations. Accordingly, employees are required to (i) have a COVID- 19 vaccine and their booster shot if booster eligible which is authorized for emergency use by the US Food and Drug Administration or the World Health Organization by the first day of work OR (ii) obtain a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief. To request an accommodation, please notify Sheila Domingue at Shdomingue@sycamores.org. All offers of employment are conditioned on satisfying one of above. No inquiries of vaccination status will be made until after a conditional offer of employment has been extended. Sycamores prohibits discrimination on the basis of a protected characteristic, including disability, perceived disability, or religion. Sycamores will not retaliate against any employee or candidate for requesting a reasonable accommodation pursuant to this policy.
This position is based out of Palmdale, CA.
- Job Family Billing Staff
- Pay Type Salary
- Palmdale, CA, USA