Veterinarian, Black Beauty Ranch
The general salary range for this position is $105 - 125k. Salary offers will be commensurate with experience, qualifications, skills, training, and education. This is a full time position based in Murchison, Texas. Full benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), PTO, and more!
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, is seeking a Veterinarian for our Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch (CABBR) in Murchison, Texas. In this position you will provide daily, routine, and emergency veterinary care to all onsite residents at Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch. Perform veterinary duties in a ranch atmosphere in concert with other animal care professionals. Performs triage of animals exhibiting illness or injury in emergent and non-emergent situations. Evaluates symptoms upon examination of animals to determine the nature of disease or injury. Diagnoses and treats diseases and injuries in a wide variety of animals across 40 species including equine, farm animals, primates, and wildlife.
- Provides daily clinical veterinary medical care to animals at Black Beauty Ranch, including treatment of routine and emergency cases and capture of animals for medical evaluations, emergency escape, surgery, or release. Designs and updates nutrition and diet plans;
- Play a key role in maintaining the veterinary externship/internship program, providing training and mentorship to veterinary interns and externs in medicine, nutrition, surgery, chemical capture, euthanasia, emergency response, communications, and ranch operations;
- Maintains and adheres to protocols and species-specific care programs for animals at Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch pertaining to operational standards, chemical capture, anesthetic procedure, equipment, nutrition and diet, and quarantine. Ensures these protocols and care plans align with the strategies and priorities of the organization;
- Oversees the veterinary care team and provides oversight, communications, education, and trainings. Ensures team is fiscally responsible and remains within budget;
- Manages documentation for animal transport, permits, reports, casework, and ranch licensing and inspection. Provides supporting documentation to the Legal department for ongoing cases;
- Represents the organization and Black Beauty Ranch in the media, including interviews, debates, expert testimony, and editorial and article writing;
- Networks with the local and national veterinary care field via direct partnerships, appearances at conferences and workshops, and conducting clinical research, to maintain relationships with strategic partners and ensure ranch animals receive the best possible care;
- Assists the Director in developing donor relationships;
- Consults with the facilities team on modifications to habitat setups and accessible enclosure construction;
- Consults with the Director of Black Beauty Ranch to identify and recommend potential actions to support strategic objectives;
- Participates in the emergency preparedness and chemical immobilization program and prepares operating procedures for disaster response, completing required FEMA training as needed;
- Performs other duties or responsibilities, as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- DVM or VMD degree required;
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in animal care required; equine and large and wild animals preferred;
- Supervisory/management experience required;
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain a Texas state Veterinary license;
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain up-to-date rabies prophylaxis and titer and TB testing;
- Willing and able to work a flexible schedule, travel as needed, and be on-call for center emergencies;
- A valid driver’s license is required, and a clean driving record is strongly preferred, with the ability to demonstrate and maintain a safe driving record while employed;
- Must demonstrate effective interpersonal and public speaking skills to build relationships, develop influence, and facilitate meetings, with high standards of tact, diplomacy, and discretion;
- Strong leadership ability in work setting. Flexible, willing to learn, and anticipates the needs of self and staff;
- Ability to set a positive tone for employees during their day is critical;
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines, demonstrating high energy, self-motivation and being proactive;
- Ability to manage issues requiring problem resolution and conflict management with excellent interpersonal and intervention skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Knowledge of business operations, including effective budget development and management processes;
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence, demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes;
- Strong interest in animal protection issues preferred.
This position is located in Murchison, TX.
To ensure your cover letter is considered, please submit your resume and cover letter as one document.
- Murchison, TX, USA