Director, Veterinary Medicine, Black Beauty Ranch
The general salary range for this position is $115-140k. Salary offers will be commensurate with experience, qualifications, skills, training and education.
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, is seeking a Veterinarian for our Black Beauty Ranch (BBR) in Murchison, Texas. In this position you will provide daily, routine, and emergency veterinary care to all onsite residents at BBR including equine, farmed animals, non-human primates, and a variety of exotic species. You will also manage the veterinary department and acts as a spokesperson for the organization.
- Provides daily clinical veterinary medical care to animals at Black Beauty Ranch, including preventative care, treatment of routine and emergency cases and capture of animals for medical evaluations, emergency escape, surgery, or release. Designs and updates preventative medical program including vaccines, dental and foot care, nutrition, and diet plans;
- Develops and implements the veterinary externship/internship program, providing training and mentorship to veterinary interns and externs in medicine, nutrition, surgery, chemical capture, euthanasia, emergency response, communications, and ranch operations;
- Creates, implements, and maintains protocols and species-specific care programs for animals at Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch pertaining to operational standards, chemical capture, anesthetic procedure, equipment, nutrition and diet, and quarantine. Ensures these protocols and care plans align with the strategies and priorities of The Fund for Animals and the organization;
- Manages the veterinary animal care team including veterinary technicians and vet tech interns and provides oversight, communications, education, and trainings. Works collaboratively with animal care teams to maximize optimal welfare and minimize stress during health checks and procedures. Ensures veterinary team is fiscally responsible and remains within budget. (1Manages all medical documentation as well as documentation for animal transport, permits, reports, casework, and ranch licensing and inspection. Provides supporting documentation to the Legal department for ongoing cases;
- Represents the organization and Black Beauty Ranch in the media, including interviews, expert testimony, and editorial and article writing;
- Networks with the local and national veterinary care community via direct partnerships, appearances at conferences and workshops, and conducting clinical research, to maintain relationships with strategic partners and ensure ranch animals receive the best possible care;
- Assists the Senior Director in developing donor relationships;
- Consults with the facilities team on modifications to habitat setups to maximize wellness when providing medical and daily care for animals. Assists with input on new enclosure design features needed for easiest medical treatment in routine and emergency situations;
- Consults with the Senior Director of Black Beauty Ranch to identify and recommend potential actions to support strategic objectives;
- Participates in the emergency preparedness and chemical immobilization program and prepares operating procedures for disaster response, completing required FEMA training as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- DVM or VMD degree required;
- A minimum of nine (9) years of experience in animal care required;
- Supervisory/management experience required;
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain a Texas state Veterinary license;
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain up-to-date rabies prophylaxis and titer and TB testing;
- Willing and able to work a flexible schedule, travel as needed, and be on call for emergencies;
- A valid driver’s license is required, and a clean driving record is strongly preferred, with the ability to demonstrate and maintain a safe driving record while employed;
- Interpersonal and public speaking skills to build relationships, develop influence, and facilitate meetings, high standards of tact, diplomacy and discretion;
- Leadership ability in work setting. Flexible, willing to learn, and anticipates the needs of self and staff;
- Ability to set a positive tone for employees during their day;
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines; high energy, self-motivated and proactive;
- Ability to manage issues requiring problem resolution and conflict management with excellent interpersonal and intervention skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Knowledge of business operations, including effective budget development and management processes;
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence, demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes;
- Strong interest in animal protection issues preferred.
This is a full time position located in Murchison, TX.
To ensure your cover letter is considered, please submit your resume and cover letter as one document.
- Murchison, TX, USA