Director of Learning and Development
What is Landstar?
Landstar is a global transportation system built for the 21st century. We are a safety-first company that provides safe, secure, and reliable transportation services delivered through a network of independent freight agents, leased owner-operators, and other third-party capacity providers. Landstar offers customized shipping solutions in all modes of freight transportation, supporting an efficient and reliable supply chain that meets our customers’ needs and goals.
Location: Hybrid in Jacksonville, FL
What work will you perform?
As the Director of Learning and Development you will play a critical and influential role in driving excellence and organizational efficiency at Landstar. You will lead a high performing function within HR. You will develop a roadmap that creates a competent and empowered organization, lead a team to collaboratively assess Landstar’s current and future needs and develop, design, deploy, and measure programs to develop leaders and staff. The successful candidate will drive effective learning programs across the organization for new and existing employees in support of the strategic goals of the business as well as build and manage the learning and development infrastructure.
- Develop enterprise learning strategy and the execution roadmap to deliver against the learning strategy.
- Develop, enable, and support an effective team of learning and training professionals who are fully engrained in Landstar’s culture, effective in understanding organization and individual development needs, able to translate identified needs into effective L&D initiatives and committed to improving key organizational metrics associated with the initiatives.
- Grounded in best practices, research, and innovation, build, maintain, and direct resources to deliver a curriculum and training methodology for both new hire onboarding as well as employee continuing education.
- Ensure all initiatives leverage adult learning, engaging principles, tactics to drive excitement, and lead to the achievement of individual and system outcomes.
- Collaborate with management teams to assess ongoing and future training and development needs.
- Understand compliance and regulatory training needs.
- Create and drive processes and analytics to provide a feedback loop to determine if the training and development practices are proving effective.
- Manage training budget and need for and effectiveness of vendors.
Minimum Experience and Education:
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent years of experience
- 10 years related experience developing and facilitating learning programs for all levels of employees.
- 5 years of experience leading a technical training organization
Preferred Experience and Education:
- Masters degree from an accredited institution
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of and ability to leverage adult learning theory in both curriculum design and facilitation.
- Solid experience working with learning management tools.
- Solid experience in group facilitation.
- Strong project management skills.
- Proven track record of marrying strategy to practical, results-driven execution – comfortable operating in both strategy and execution domains.
- Demonstrated strong listening and collaboration skills for uncovering business needs and translating into executable requirements.
- Ability to lead the creation of learning solutions by others, using appropriate learning strategies, including instructor-led learning, web based and virtual ILT, and hands-on, in-the-work learning.
- Ability to use best-in-class design and delivery techniques within budget.
- Expertise in building and leading high-performance teams.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills and comfort communicating to all levels of stakeholders, including C-suite.
- High motivation level and appetite for changing market and organizational requirements.
- Experience with learning analytics, data-driven and results oriented.
Why work at Landstar?
Landstar is seeking hard-working and dedicated employees committed to exceeding the expectations of those we serve. We employ a highly diverse workforce and welcome employees from all cultures and backgrounds to our team.
Our workplace culture is second-to-none. Landstar provides a safe and professional work environment in which to thrive and grow. We offer competitive compensation, robust benefit plans including affordable medical plans, employer 401(k) match, paid time off, tuition assistance and much more.
If you want to be part of a top-notch Fortune 500 company with an emphasis on safety, service, teamwork, and dedication then Landstar is the place for you!
Landstar is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Landstar will provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Landstar uses application information only for employment related purposes, including background investigations and regulatory compliance. Landstar will not disclose the information to any other person or entity, unless compelled by force of law. Landstar stores your application information on computers operated by Ceridian. This on-line application software is provided by Ceridian under an agreement which specifies that Ceridian will not disclose or make any use of application information stored on its secure servers.
- Pay Type Salary
- Landstar System, Inc., 13410 Sutton Park Dr S, Jacksonville, Florida, United States of America