The Winston Salem Journal, a Lee Enterprises company, and a digital media solutions provider for broadcast and traditional news media, is seeking a Pressman. The Press Operator is a vital role in the productions of our newspapers and various other print products.
Press Operators will be required to operate and maintain press components and controls, quickly grasp a thorough understanding of every facet of the pressroom, maintain a commitment to quality and work within a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Manually pushes rolls to position rolls with hoist into auto splicer, makes paster patterns and operates paster controls to load pasters, forward and reverse pasters and operate splicing sequence.
- Spot plates according to job press order, mount plates involving reaching in and mounting plates into the slot lock up accurate
- Manually lead webs with different web configurations involving reaching in and over to guide press webs over rollers through press units, across superstructure rollers to press folder based on specific press configuration
- Fill color inks with ink reel, stir ink, check viscosity and monitor ink feed functions to printing units before and during press run.
- Clean press, pipe rollers, press cylinder blankets with cleaning solvents and wipes up any ink spills
- The individual in this position is responsible for setting up and maintaining the operation of presses before and during press runs.
- The employee is expected to handle routine job tasks on a day to day basis, maintaining accuracy while meeting deadlines.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to follow all Company policies and procedures including but not limited to attendance standards.
- Mechanical skill helpful
- The ability to effectively communicate and interact personally and by telephone with staff, other departments and other employees of the organization professionally
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to read, comprehend and write simple instructions, short correspondences, and memos
- High School Diploma or GED
- Press or printing experience preferred, but not required
Why Join Us?
Lee Enterprises offers competitive wages in a dynamic, interesting work environment with career growth opportunities. We offer an extensive benefit program that can be personalized to your needs. Our benefit program includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, company provided life insurance and supplemental life insurance. In addition, we offer a 401K retirement plan with company match. We also offer generous paid time off to allow the flexibility to balance personal life and work. This includes paid parental leave for new parents.
Lee Enterprises is a major subscription and advertising platform and a leading provider of local news and information, with daily newspapers, rapidly growing digital products and nearly 350 weekly and specialty publications serving 73 markets in 26 states. Year to date, Lee's newspapers have an average daily circulation of 1.0 million, and our legacy websites, including acquisitions, reach more than 33 million digital unique visitors.
Lee Enterprises is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to attracting and retaining a workforce whose diversity reflects the communities we serve. Lee embraces change, and we recognize that we must create and maintain a culture of fervent inclusion. For more information about Lee, check us out at www.lee.net.
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you are excited about this role but do not meet 100% of the qualifications above, we encourage you to apply.
- Job Family Production
- Pay Type Hourly
- Winston-Salem Journal-Prod, 2051 E 5th St, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States of America