Research Technician (Crotty)
We are seeking a full-time Laboratory Research Technician in the laboratory of Professor Shane Crotty at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology (LJI). The Crotty Lab is working on a variety of high-impact scientific projects in immune responses to infection and vaccines. We are looking for someone who has a drive for discovery, and paving the way to improve our understanding of how the human body can prevent or fight infection by developing outstanding immunity. The ideal candidate would be an integral part of a strong team of scientists and work in a positive environment that provides mentorship and fosters talent while encouraging growth and learning. LJI is a world-renowned institute that provides fantastic benefits and excellent support for its researchers.
Under the supervision of the Professor and PhD level lab scientists, depending on the project, the research technician will assist in performing research in human, mouse or non-human primate immunology. The research technician will perform a wide range of immunological techniques, while supporting daily lab operations. Your typical day may entail setting up experiments in the morning, running analysis in the afternoon, making some common buffers in between and preparing to talk about your project at the next lab meeting where afterwards you will enjoy a weekly catered lunch with your team mates. You will be fully trained on experimental protocols and have the opportunity to work with minimal supervision based on your skill level. There are no protocol robots in this lab, you will learn the science behind everything you do!
• B.A./B.S. or higher in a biological science, chemistry, or biochemistry or equivalent knowledge and experience
• Experience using basic laboratory equipment
• Accurate record keeping and organizational skills
• Oral and written communication skills necessary for team work
• Desire to continually improve/develop new skills and learn from your team mates
• Previous laboratory experience in cell biology, immunology, or molecular biology
• Demonstrated proficiency in blood processing, cell culture, ELISAs, flow cytometry, PCR or other immunological/molecular techniques
• Previous experience in mouse handling
• Must be willing to work with recombinant DNA and biohazardous materials.
• Must be willing to work with human blood
How to Apply:
Interested applicants please submit in a single file:
1. A brief cover letter explaining what you could contribute and get from the Crotty Lab
2. Your resume/CV
3. A minimum of two references (three preferred)
With over 30 different countries represented, diversity is respected and celebrated at LJI. We are committed to ensuring a safe and compassionate environment that is equal, just, and fair. Science and discovery benefit from a diversity of talents, a diversity of approaches, and a diversity of perspectives. The La Jolla Institute’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Initiative is designed to help us identify areas at the Institute that need improvement so we can together create an environment that is inclusive, provides equal opportunities, and opens doors that propel our research for human health.
La Jolla Institute is committed to compensation that is externally competitive and internally equitable. We validate this commitment by conducting regular market analyses to remain competitive with organizations of similar size in the nonprofit, independent research sector. Compensation decisions consider a variety of factors including experience, education, unique skill sets, organizational need, and internal equity.
- Job Function RT
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $16.64
- Max Hiring Rate $24.13
- 9420 Athena Cir, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA