Vivarium Technician I
Under the direct supervision of the Vivarium Supervisor, the Vivarium Technician I is primarily responsible for maintaining cages and accessories in a clean and sanitary state. Routinely will be responsible for autoclaving cages and accessories for use in the animal rooms. Responsible for maintenance of animal facility in compliance with USDA, NIH, AAALAC and other applicable laws and regulations.
Special condition of employment:
● Able to occasionally work a flexible schedule based on workload and deadlines.
● Must be able to work an assigned schedule: Monday- Friday, 6:00 am- 2:30 pm or 6:30 a.m.- 3:00 p.m. or as assigned.
● Must be able to work overtime as needed before or after regular shift, weekends and holidays.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
● Operate and complete daily maintenance of the tunnel and rack washer, floor loader, and BSL autoclaves, bedding dispenser, water bottle filler and bedding disposal station.
● Perform sterilization assessment of caging and equipment.
● Complete associated documentation for work areas.
● Specific clean and soiled cage ash duties include but are not limited to cleaning and sanitizing cages and accessories, filling cages with bedding, prep and organizing respective sides, and dispose of soiled material.
● Set up units for specialized caging for either sterile of BSL 2 animals.
● Wash and sterilize water bottles and fill with acidified/non-acidified water.
● Sweep, mop and disinfect floors in washrooms, halls and support areas.
● Facility sanitation responsibilities include disinfecting walls, ceilings and other surfaces on a routine basis
● Cleans and sanitizes the support equipment
● Euthanize animals in accordance with AVMA guidelines and prepare carcasses for disposal.
● Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
High school diploma or equivalent. AALAS certification at ALAT or higher level desired.
● Prior laboratory animal experience a plus but not required
● Knowledge of customer service principles and practices would be beneficial
● Ability to exercise diplomacy in interactions with multinational scientific staff
This position requires constant walking, seeing, touching/ feeling, lifting, talking, hearing, reading, writing, communicating, exposure to fumes/ odors/ dust, working in confined areas, potential allergens, and exposure to animals.
● Must be able to work a physically demanding job
● Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and carry at least 25 lbs.
● Must be able to use a step stool/ ladder to reach objects overhead
● Must have manual dexterity in both hands
● Must be able to bend down and/ or crouch repeatedly throughout the workday
● Must be able to push and pull carts that could potentially weigh 300 lbs.
● Must be able to open doors and pull loaded supply carts through
● Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
● Ability to read and understand documents such as safety procedures, standard operating procedures for all cage wash equipment
● Must be able to maintain written records as required by SOP and laws/ regulations
● Must be able to work prolonged periods wearing personal protective equipment such as masks, gloves, lab coat, or scrubs and other apparel as required
● Must not be allergic to animals or their bedding or able to work with appropriate accommodations
● Must be able to stand for prolonged period of times
● Working knowledge to see and identify differences in cage and accessory types
● Must demonstrate the ability to assess the cleanliness of cages and accessories
● Must demonstrate the ability to assess the cleanliness of washroom and equipment
How to Apply:
Interested applicants please submit your resume in a single attachment.
- Job Function RS
- Pay Type Salary
- 9420 Athena Cir, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA