Freight Handler - Dock to Driver
Lynden Transport is hiring for our Dock to Driver Training Program designed to pay for CDL Training for employees who would like to obtain their Class A CDL. Successful candidates will be hired as Freight Operations. While working as Freight Operations the employee will receive training on the dock/yard. During the training period the Service Center Manager will make a determination as to whether the employee is a good candidate for Training Program. The Service Center Manager will work with employee to begin the Training Program. The Training Program will be paid for by Lynden Transport (up to $5500).
Once the employee is hired he/she will be responsible for the following Job Description:
Receives, loads, stores and distributes freight as directed. May do so manually or by using forklifts or other equipment. This position is considered safety sensitive.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Loads and unloads trailers, with or without mechanical freight-handling equipment.
- Ensures that load is secure by using a variety of cargo straps, tarps, ropes, lumber and other tools. This includes proper securement of both flatbeds and vans.
- May perform lifting, pulling, pushing, and carrying of freight.
- Loads or unloads materials onto or off of pallets, skids, or lifting device, such as forklifts or other equipment.
- Positions forks, lifting platform, or other lifting device under, over, or around loaded pallets, skids, boxes, products, or materials or hooks tow trucks to trailer hitch, and transports load to designated area.
- Unloads and stacks material by raising and lowering lifting device.
- Moves levers and presses pedals to drive truck and control movement of lifting apparatus
- Counts, inspects, checks markings on shipments for receiving and/or delivering per the requirements of the bill of lading or other documents.
- Weighs materials or products and records weight on tags, labels, or in computer system.
- Enters information on company computer system as required. Data input methods include keypunching, scanning or other electronic processes.
- Makes inquiries from computer system.
- Operates other simple business machines.
- Maintains detailed business records as required.
- Reports any and all safety hazards.
- Reports on-the-job-injuries or equipment/cargo accidents immediately to the on-duty supervisor.
- Dependable and consistent attendance required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Must have a high school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as hazardous materials shipping regulations, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to present information and respond to questions from managers, customers and the general public
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions in written, oral or diagram form
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Must be able to conduct telephone communication
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions in written, oral or diagram form . Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work with others
- Applicant must be at least 21 years of age with a good driving record
- Must be willing to work in the warehouse and yard with minimal driving time to start
- Must be able to lift up to 75 lbs.
- Must be able to sit, stand or walk for extended periods
- Must be able to reach overhead
- Must be able to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls for extended periods
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crawl, crouch, or crawl to examine equipment and cargo
- Must be able to install and remove 60 pound tire chains as required by weather conditions
- Must be able to push or pull freight up to 4000 pounds with the use of a pallet jack
- May be required to reposition (push or pull) a 3500 pound dolly on uneven surfaces while hooking a set of trailers
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee also may work near moving mechanical parts and may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Job Family 0300-Cargo Operations
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $21.00
- Max Hiring Rate $21.00
- 5410 12th St E, Fife, WA 98424, USA