Alaska West Express provides truckload transportation throughout the United States and Canada, specializing in shipments to and from Alaska where we are a leader in transporting liquid- and dry-bulk products, hazardous and non-hazardous chemicals, and petroleum products. With our fleet of flatbeds, stretch, lowboy, single- and double-drop trailers, we are recognized for dependable service to the oilfield, mining, construction, and manufacturing industries.
Alaska West Express, Inc. (Lynden Oilfield Services), Alaska’s largest intermodal tank and chassis operator, is in search of a driver to join our team in Prudhoe Bay, AK.
Lynden Oil Field Services, a division of Alaska West Express, Inc., provides support for exploration, production, and service companies on the North Slope working to develop Alaska’s oil and gas resources.
Our team works either a 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off or a 3 weeks on / 3 weeks off shift. We offer low-cost benefits including medical, dental, vision and 401k, with up to 6% company contribution. Employees also receive paid sick leave.
This position receives, loads, and distributes freight as directed. May do so manually or by using forklifts and other equipment. Drives tractor trailer combination to transport, pick-up, load unload and deliver cargo freight and chemicals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
(Other duties may be assigned)
- Attendance and timeliness are an essential function of this position.
- Inspect truck and trailer for defects to ensure safe operating condition before, during, and following trips; complete and submit daily vehicle inspection form.
- Check shipping papers for proper descriptions of commodities (including hazardous materials), weight, packaging, marking, labeling, and other information necessary to ensure the safe and efficient transportation of customer freight.
- May collect payment for goods delivered and for delivery charges when necessary.
- Maneuver vehicle in safe and efficient manner while transporting cargo in situations such as heavy traffic, inclement weather, and difficult loading or unloading facilities.
- Operate forklifts with lifting capacity between 3,000# and 100,000# to move freight between equipment, warehouse, and yard locations.
- Load and unloads truck/trailer, securing shipments using a variety of cargo straps, ropes, lumber, etc.; this process may involve climbing up and on to the deck of a flatbed, on to a flatbed load, and/or into and out of containers and trailers as needed.
- Assist in the maintenance of company property, to include sweeping of warehouse floor, equipment, and other service center facility housekeeping duties as required.
- Report all safety hazards and/or accidents involving cargo, vehicles, driver, personnel, or citizens at large.
- Maintain records required for compliance with State, Federal, and corporate rules and regulations including but not limited to the following: vehicle inspections, hazardous material manifests, and permits.
- Must be able to work flexible hours.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); plus one to two years tractor-trailer driving experience or equivalent combination of education or experience (or as determined by General Manager).
Must be a minimum of 21 years of age.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES:
Must possess valid class “A” Commercial Driver’s License with Hazardous Material, Tanker and Double/Triple endorsement and no restrictions on operating a standard transmission. Both an acceptable driving record and ability to pass a DOT medical exam are required.
Ability to read and speak the English language sufficiently to converse with co-workers, supervisors, and managers, to understand procedures and warning signs and or markings in the English language, to respond to inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records. Ability to understand, CFR 49 Hazardous Material regulations. Hazardous communication training, respiratory protection training, PPE training, and environmental training must be completed.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide two-digit numbers.
Ability to understand detailed written and oral instructions; ability to prioritize and problem solve in time/safety-sensitive situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear while communicating with customers and co-workers in person or via telephone or radio.
Employee must be able to sit, stand or walk for extended periods (entire shift). Employee is required to use hands, fingers, arms and feet to steer and operate controls of equipment and while manually lifting, moving or securing freight. And is required to kneel, stoop or crouch to examine equipment and cargo.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 75 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
REQUIRED PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE):
Employee is required to wear PPE as outlined in AWE Industrial Health and Safety Manual Chapter 2.27 PPE Program, which may include hard hat, safety toe shoes/boots, gloves, chemical splash suits, safety glasses/goggles, hearing protection, respiratory protection and arctic gear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to work in outside weather conditions, (extreme cold and wet conditions) and occasionally works in high, precarious places. Employee is required to work with hazardous materials.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate however hearing protection may be required.
Alaska West Express Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Must pass a pre-employment drug test, background check and physical.
- Job Family 0700-Driver
- Pay Type Hourly
- Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, USA