Alaska West Express provides truckload transportation throughout the United States and Canada, specializing in shipments to and from Alaska where we are a leader in transporting liquid- and dry-bulk products, hazardous and non-hazardous chemicals, and petroleum products. With our fleet of flatbeds, stretch, lowboy, single- and double-drop trailers, we are recognized for dependable service to the oilfield, mining, construction, and manufacturing industries.
Alaska West Express, Inc. is hiring for a Mechanic in Fairbanks, AK. Why work for us?
Our company offers excellent benefits to include:
- Safety / performance bonus
- Full benefits package to include medical, dental and vision with low costs for full family coverage
- 401k plan with up to 6% employer match
- Paid holidays, paid time off and extended leave
The successful candidate will repair and maintain commercial trucks, machinery, and mechanical equipment such as engines, motors, pneumatic tools, conveyor systems, and production machines and equipment by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
(Other duties may be assigned)
- Attendance and timeliness are essential functions of this position.
- Observes mechanical devices in operation and listens to their sounds to locate causes of trouble.
- Reads job order and determines work procedures.
- Dismantles devices to gain access to and remove defective parts. Install new parts and reassembles device.
- Examines form and texture of parts to detect imperfections. Inspects used parts to determine changes in dimensional requirements.
- Examines protective guards, loose bolts, and specified safety devices on trucks, and makes adjustments.
- Repairs or replaces defective parts. Installs special functional and structural parts in devices. Lubricates and cleans parts.
- Starts and drives repaired equipment to verify conformance to specifications and to test their performance and may assist with equipment relocation.
- Operate company vehicles and forklifts in a safe, professional manner.
- Sets up and operates drill press, grinder, and other metalworking tools to make and repair parts.
- Repairs electrical equipment.
- Performs basic computer functions by completing job work orders using web-based fleet equipment maintenance system, recording materials used, type of work accomplished, and maintenance system codes.
- Complies with all company safety policies, including use of protective equipment and Fit for Work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and speak the English language sufficiently to converse with co-workers, supervisors, and managers, to understand procedures and warning signs and or markings in the English language, to respond to inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb, or balance, and smell.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
REQUIRED PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE):
Employee is required to wear PPE as outlined in AWE Industrial Health and Safety Manual Chapter 2.27 PPE Program, which may include hard hat, safety toe shoes/boots, gloves, chemical splash suits, safety glasses/goggles, hearing protection, respiratory protection, and arctic gear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, extreme heat, risk of electrical shock, and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is high. Hearing protection is required.
Alaska West Express Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Must pass a pre-employment drug test, background check and physical.
- Job Family 1500-Maintenance
- Pay Type Hourly
- 1095 Sanduri St, Fairbanks, AK 99701, USA