Lynden Transport is looking for an Operations Assistant who provides clerical, administrative and operational assistance to Service Center personnel while also servicing our Customers by processing and providing information through a multitude of avenues.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Dependable and consistent attendance is required.
- Processes Bills of Lading for receiving, reviews Bill for complete information, assigns codes and instructions as required. Enters alpha and numeric receiving data from source documents into computer. Confers with customers and others to improve and/or expand services.
- Prepares and inputs data to create freight bills. Such data includes calculations of totals, net amounts, and discounts, manually using company tariffs and using in house computer program when applicable.
- Quotes rates and documents cargo bookings.
- Enters documents into scanning (Imaging) system.
- Rates Bills of Lading using company’s computer program.
- Maintains details of business transactions or other records as required. Counts, weighs, measures, and records number of units or other data regarding freight moved or handled.
- Answers variety of customer information requests by phone, e-mail, and fax or in person regarding rates, routing, packing procedures and interline transportation procedures.
- Provides administration customer service support for multitude of departments within company.
- Performs audit to ensure accuracy of customer billing.
- Received freight from vendors which often includes moving and lifting boxes weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Working on the dock for long periods of time, partially exposed to the elements for a prolonged period of time.
- Records details of business transactions in ledgers or on special forms, as instructed, transferring the entries from one business or accounting record to another as necessary.
- Makes calculations in totaling the accounts, determining discounts and computing extensions.
- Record daily details of business events in company computer system, including timely equipment status updates (STUDs) such as arrival and dispatch of tractors and trailers, and the loading, closing, and unloading of trailers.
- Monitor the movement of trailers in the company computer system to help the Service Center Managers plan for trailers arrival.
- Record or monitor activity on dock or yard, such as reconciliation of timecard system or weight and inspection system.
- Records, traces, and enters information on company computer system as directed.
- Makes inquiries from computer system.
- Operates other simple business machines.
- Files, copies or otherwise handles correspondence and other records as directed.
- Compiles and types statistical reports.
- Answers telephones and gives information to callers or routes call to appropriate person.
- Performs miscellaneous errands or other duties as requested.
- Counts, weighs, and records number of units or other data regarding freight moved or handled.
- Assists in reconciliation and closing of trailers or containers.
- Record or monitor other activity on dock or in yard.
- Provides miscellaneous assistance to supervisors and other terminal personnel as required.
- Assist is special projects as requested.
- Carries out all duties with a strong commitment to excellent customer service
Must be available to work varied shift schedules, which may include weekend and evening shifts, as well as overtime hours.
Dependable and consistent attendance required.
Job will be performed at the Houston Service Center.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Transportation or logistics education or experience preferred.
Position requires the candidate have the ability to:
- PC Skills Required: Windows, Word, Excel, Explorer, Outlook.
- Ability to meet a regular work schedule.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Keyboard and ten key by touch (equivalent to 35 words per minute).
- Conduct telephone communication.
- Employee must enjoy the challenge of working in a multiple task - fast paced environment.
- Employee must possess a genuine desire and skill to meet the customer's needs in the most efficient manner possible.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work to meet schedules/deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to work overtime as required.
- Ability to work alone or as part of a team with minimal supervision.
- Ability to change focus and job duties in a fast moving, time restricted environment.
- Calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Sit, stand or walk for extended periods.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, procedure manuals, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from company personnel, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Must have current, valid Texas State driver’s license.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee may work in various outside weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Job Family 0200-Admin
- Pay Type Hourly
- 1417 E Richey Rd, Houston, TX 77073, USA