State Policy Outreach Associate/Manager
We are seeking a highly organized and motivated Policy Outreach Associate/Manager to engage in outreach activities at the state level. This position offers a unique opportunity to work with leading market-oriented scholars engaged in pioneering public policy research and to play a crucial role in formulating and implementing engagement strategies with state and local governments. This position will report to the Senior Director for Policy Outreach and will focus on a wide range of policy issues, including regulation, housing and land use, technology innovation, and more.
Who Should Apply:
This role is ideal for candidates with a desire to grow within the public policy, consulting, marketing, or communications sectors. We value employee development and offer plenty of learning opportunities, including 12 free credits per year at George Mason University. We welcome candidates from a variety of disciplines, backgrounds, and levels of experience to apply.
- Identify key target audiences and develop and implement effective outreach strategies to connect those audiences with Mercatus research
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders and thought leaders
- Advise Mercatus scholars on the evolving context of policy debates and potential opportunities to advance the use of their research by state policy audiences
- Collaborate with other Mercatus teams (research, communications, events) to ensure research findings effectively reach target audiences
- Travel up to 25% of the time for conferences, state capitol visits, and accompanying scholars to briefings, hearings, and other outreach engagements.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with creative problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and under pressure
- Exceptional time management skills and ability to meet deadlines
- 2 years of experience in legislative, government relations, or public policy research settings for the associate level. More experienced candidates may be considered for the manager level.
Employee Benefits: Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Mercatus provides excellent benefits to all individual employees, including full health and dental coverage, flexible spending accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, parking/travel benefits, and twelve free credits per year at George Mason University.
About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University: For over 40 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus works to advance knowledge about how markets work to improve our lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying sound economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems.
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required Yes
- 3434 Washington Blvd, Arlington, VA 22201, USA