Banquet Captain - Providence Marriott Downtown
JOB TITLE: Banquet Captain
REPORTS TO: Director of Banquets / Director of Food and Beverage
SUPERVISES DIRECTLY: Banquet servers, Banquet Bartenders, Banquet Set-up
WORKS HAND AND HAND WITH: Hotel management
ASSISTS WITH SUPERVISION OF THE FOLLOWING WHEN REQUESTED:
· Bluefin and Ala carte Associates- Servers, Food runners, Bussers, Host or hostess and Bartenders.
· Mclub Associates- Servers and Host
· Aqua Associates- Servers, Food runners, Bussers, Host or Hostess and Bartenders.
Interested applicants should send cover letter and resume to: ProvidenceMarriottHR@marriottprovidence.com
Purpose for the position: In the absence of the Director of banquet, the captain will oversee the Banquet department in coordination with the Director of Food and Beverage so as to maintain established operational standards and maximize profits of the hotel.
- Maintain standards of food and beverage quality and guest service quality
- Assist with training of banquet departmental associates
- Contributes to the guest satisfaction of other hotel departments as well as the Banquet Department
- Directly responsible for all function space as assigned on a daily basis and in correlation with the assigned banquet event orders.
- Assist banquet set up team with set-up’s, breakdowns, and refreshes when needed
- Meet with clients, go over setup, room requirements, door signs, packages, av, food, beverage, timing and any other pertinent information as listed on the banquet event order
- Must ensure that all scheduled events take place on time and according to plan.
- Assist with Covering shifts if unable to find replacements for call outs or shortage- works hands on daily with subordinates. Ability to work under pressure and deal with stressful situations during busy periods
- In the absence of the Director of Banquets or if assigned to do so, the banquet captain will be required to attend banquet event order meetings and relay information back to those that need it as well with adjusting schedules based on changes
- Responsible for stand up- preshift meetings with associates assigned to each event to discuss and assign event tasks, timing, agenda, changes, special needs, hotel information, front and back of house side work
- Responsible for all associates assigned to their events while all the floor and up until they finish their closing tasks and depart the hotel. Must do final walk thrus to ensure all tasks are complete and the banquet areas are clean and properly organized.
- Responsible for food and beverage as related to their assigned events. Must meet with kitchen to go over requirements as listed on the events, go over portions based on type of event, go over history on the events if known such as big eaters or what they liked and didn’t like last time, discuss proper vessels need to display food in, timing for food as well as time changes as they occur, servers assigned to buffets and allergies as listed on events. Assist with plate up and distribution of food to associates when needed.
- Meet with bartenders and ensure they have the items needed to successful run their bars, ensure products match the banquet event orders, assist with setting up micros machines and change for the banks when needed. Run bar reports, sign off on cash, collect consumption sheets. Ensure bar is broken down and put away properly.
- Do end of shift closing paper work, ensure everything is correct and any updates have been adjusted. Place the paperwork in the proper location for night audit, get payment from the client if needed and it applied as well as dropped in the safe.
- Complete a captain’s report and forward to the Director of Banquets as well as to the appropriate sales or catering manager
- Ensures proper cleaning and orderliness of all events that are assigned to the captain as well as, storages and work space. Assist with cleanliness and upkeep of all other banquet areas that are not assigned to you while on the clock. Ensure maintenance of equipment by calling for repairs and training staff on proper use.
- Supervises in compliance with established company policies and procedures
- Supervises in compliance with local, state and federal laws
- Maintains procedures in regards to security of hotel products and monies
- Assist with performing inventories up to and including the following: China/Glass/Silver, Linen, beverage and banquet equipment.
- Assist with organizing departmental supplies and stocking shelves by stooping, bending, lifting heavy articles and reaching overhead.
- Responds to red coat alerts, questions and concerns. Receives departmental internal and external complaints and ensures corrective action is taken effectively with tact and diplomacy in line with the company’s service standards
- Acts as manager on duty when scheduled, or in the absence of the director of banquets
- Assists with quarterly departmental meetings, or monthly when deemed necessary
- Assist with staffing, training, counseling, disciplining and interviewing for banquet department
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Banquets and/or The Director of food and beverage
- Utilize computer / PMS/ MICROS/CITY and become well versed in regards to these applications
- Highly professional appearance, ability to maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed
appearance. (specific standards available) OTHER: Additional language ability
Ability to walk, stand and/or bend continuously to perform essential job functions.
Ability to move up to 100+ lbs., with wheeled assistance. * Ability to lift up to 30
lbs., and lift lighter objects overhead.
Considerable skill in math and algebraic equations using percentage
Qualification Standards & Education:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high
school or any other combination of education, training or experience that
provides the required knowledge skills and abilities.
High School diploma required, college degree preferred.
Position requires 2+ years previous Banquet Experience
Preferable bar and supervisory experience appreciated.
Demonstrated leadership qualities.
Sense of organization, eye for detail and ability to multi task
Knowledge of Food, wine and alcoholic beverages
Tips certification or other approved alcohol certifications
Practices safe food handling
- Job Family New Jobs
- Pay Type Hourly
- Providence, RI, USA