Director of Operations - Providence Marriott Downtown
Meyer Jabara Hotels has distinguished itself as an employer of choice, attracting innovative and talented industry professionals who deliver exceptional results. Our Associates are encouraged to reach their fullest potential by delivering a differentiated experience to our guests and an exceptional bottom-line.
Job Title: Director of Operations
Reports To: General Manager
Department: Hotel Operations
Direct Reports: Front Desk Manager
Director of Housekeeping Services
1. Journey Philosophy - Demonstrate knowledge of the Meyer Jabara Journey Philosophy and practices, culture, terminology, organizational structure and principles. That philosophy should be portrayed in the professional appearance, behavior, integrity, openness and accessibility to employees. Achieve performance objectives in accordance with the components of empowerment and principles of leadership. Exhibit a "hands on" approach to training, developing and working alongside employees and a commitment to individual growth. Your role is that of Coach and Mentor to your management team and associates. Maintain an open door policy to encourage and support positive employee relations and guest satisfaction.
2. Management Responsibility - Demonstrate strong working knowledge and support of, departmental SOPs, hotel LSOPs and overall familiarity with company SOPs. Fulfill the responsibilities of the hotel’s MOD program. Portray a professional manner with regard to appearance, behavior, ethics, and compliance with policy. Promote effective people/supervisory skills through reward and recognition as well as progressive discipline, thus ensuring a positive and productive work environment. Develop employees for future promotion within the MeyerJabara system.
3. Communications - Communication should be accurate and timely. Use successful communication techniques to ensure staff has a clear understanding of information. This should include an awareness of special needs. Conduct and facilitate effective meetings through established agendas, effective use of time and clear objectives. Prepare clear, legible and concise correspondence, memos, letters, instructions and reports following the correct format. Effective verbal communication will be key.
4 Financial Responsibility - Control departmental expenses through effective use of forecast data, proper scheduling, responding to business fluctuations. Control departmental expenses through adherence to purchasing (BuyEfficient and approved Marriott vendors) and requisition procedures, cash and credit policies and overall follow-up to issues that affect profit or loss. As a Department Head, hold a shared responsibility for the overall financial success of the hotel. Make purchase decisions against established supplies and tools pars.
5. Human Resources - Be fully aware of all Human Resources SOPs and LSOPs as it pertains to the following: hiring, orientation, training, PA processing, performance appraisals, coaching and counseling. Demonstrate knowledge of company benefit programs. Model strong employee relations qualities by developing teamwork and maintaining high morale, and introducing incentive opportunities to the team. Ensure all Human Resource policies and practices are applied consistently while adhering to all federal, state, and local laws. Promote solid solutions to the Associate Opinion Survey and monitor these action plans. Participate in HR associate planned events. Introduce reward and recognition programs.
6. Safety & Security - Be active in the management role of safety and security. Must be versed in all emergency, HAZCOM, OSHA and injury/accident reporting procedures. Implement steps to ensure the safety of the staff, guests and the owner's investments, by being proficient at CPR, alcohol awareness (MOD requirement), first aid and emergency procedures.
Job Specific Tasks:
Business Strategy Development
Stays current with industry trends and monitors strengths and weakness of competition; explores new business opportunities; develops business plans designed to maximize property customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share; ensures property business plans are aligned with Marriott brand business strategies; translates Marriott global strategic plan into one that can be executed on property.
Business Strategy Execution
Executes business plans designed to maximize property customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share; ensures that property business plans and employees are aligned with Marriott brand business strategies; holds property leadership team accountable for successful delivery of business plans; experiments with new ideas and takes calculated risks to improve guest satisfaction and profitability; evaluates the success of property business strategies to inform future business plan enhancements; continually ensures business plans and actions have a positive impact on property performance.
Sales and Marketing
Works closely with the Sales and Marketing team to develop revenue generating strategies for property; identifies new business leads, develops tailored sales approach, and actively pursues leads with Sales and Marketing team; ensures sales and marketing strategy is aligned with brand strategy and is effectively executed against established goals; ensures property leaders understand and leverage Marriott demand engines to full potential; augments guest preference for property through booking ease and quality interactions with sales force.
Talent Management and Organizational Capability
Creates a cohesive and high-performance Executive Committee that continuously strives for positive results and improvement; coaches Executive Committee by providing specific feedback and holds them accountable for performance; creates learning and development opportunities for employees; creates and effectively executes development plans for both direct reports based on their individual strengths, development needs, and career aspirations; ensures all managers are doing the same for their direct reports; identifies resource needs to strengthen property team; creates succession plans for future job openings; actively supports the staffing process; ensures effective work processes, systems and teamwork are in place to maximize individual and overall property performance.
Serves as a passionate brand advocate and ensures that the intent of the brand is pulled through in the guest experience; communicates a clear and consistent message regarding property and MHR/JW brand goals to employees, property leadership team, and owners; serves as a role model by demonstrating exceptional work ethic and service delivery for all employees on property; champions change; inspires and motivates team to achieve operational excellence; represents Marriott brand values in all leadership actions.
Business Information Analysis
Reviews business related data such as market share, financial performance, inventory, employee engagement, and customer satisfaction; analyzes business information to proactively address changing market conditions, ensure property operates within budgetary guidelines, and achieves profit margin goals; uses business information to identify indicators of product and service successes and opportunities for improvement; integrates business information into business plans.
Employee and Labor Relations
Ensures all employees are treated fairly, and with respect; builds rapport with employees by fostering an environment of open communication and spending time with employees on the frontlines; makes self-available to employees (“open door policy”); ensures pay and benefits are appropriate for labor market; celebrates the success of employees in a public way; works with Human Resources to maximize employee engagement and monitor local labor environment to address issues as needed.
Works with Revenue Management team to develop effective pricing strategies, balancing seasonality, economy, customer segments, property objectives and customer satisfaction; established revenue strategy that supports Marriott brand positioning in local market; ensures demand forecasting and sound revenue practices are in place to maximize yield; identifies ways to grow occupancy, RevPAR, and market share by researching and staying aware of competitor strategies; controls labor and capital expenses.
Builds strong rapport with property owners through proactive and on-going communication; keeps owner informed of brand initiatives and guest experiences; provides owners with in-depth analysis of property performance, incorporating guest, financial and employee business data; manages an effective balance between owner interests and Marriott brand interests and develops solutions that create value for both; develops and effectively promotes ideas for improving property service and profitability to ownership.
Customer and Public Relations Management
Interacts with guests and other customers on a frequent basis to obtain feedback about their experiences on property; utilizes guest/customer feedback to recognize outstanding employee service performance and improve service delivery; emphasizes and holds leadership team accountable for addressing service failures or potential service failures, and for developing innovative ways to exceed guest expectations; establishes presence in the market by actively promoting an exemplary property/brand image, involving oneself in the local community, and by developing strategic alliances with local officials, businesses, and customers; anticipates needs of large groups or high profile guests in order to deliver flawless service; verifies that products, services, and events attain the appropriate publicity (“PR buzz”).
Company/Brand Policy, Procedures, and Standards Compliance
Verifies property compliance with legal, safety, operations, labor, and Marriott brand product and service standards; conducts both routine and short-notice quality assurance audits with specific departments; holds employees accountable for performing audits on a regular basis; conducts detailed walk-throughs to ensure building, public areas, kitchen, and grounds are well-maintained, safe, and meet or exceed guest expectations; ensures employees are appropriately trained and performing to standard.
Skills and Training:
Minimum two year college degree
Minimum three years supervisory experience required in similar size operation or larger
Ability to read and comprehend hotel budget and profit & loss statements
Knowledge of CPOR costs
Ability to create weekly schedule against forecasted occupancy, and within labor budget
Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
Able to push and pull 50+ pounds
Able to stand for long periods of time
Able to walk up and down stairs, up to six floors
Position may require much bending, stretching, reaching and some repetitive motion
I have read the job description above and understand the requirements. I have the ability to perform all of the functions listed above. Furthermore, I understand that this is not to be construed as an employment contract, nor does this job description necessarily include all the essential functions of the position. The hotel reserves the right to modify, add or remove elements from this job description at any time.
Providence Marriott Downtown ◈ 354 Rooms
One Orms Street, Providence, Rhode Island, 02904, USA
Managed by Meyer Jabara Hotels: https://www.meyerjabarahotels.com
The difference between being a good business and an amazing business can be found in the company's footprints made by giving back and serving others. Community relationships matter to the team at Meyer Jabara.
- Job Family New Jobs
- Pay Type Salary
- Job Start Date Monday, February 26, 2024
- Providence, RI 02904, USA