Interested in joining Milwaukee County? Milwaukee County is searching for authentic people who are out to change the game and bring their whole selves to work every day.
Milwaukee County oversees operations from our Airport, Behavioral Health, Child Support Enforcement, Combined Court Operations, Sheriffs Department, Community Reintegration Center, Human Services, Parks, Public Safety, Public Works, Fleet Operations, Transportation, and at the Zoo. Our departments are also dedicated to our Seniors in the Department on Aging, those with Disabilities, and Veterans Affairs. Our employees also remain committed to serve the cultural, human, recreational and social needs of the entire community.
Milwaukee County offers a wide variety of interesting jobs for people who want to make a difference in our community. Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefit package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If disability related accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
We are searching for Changemakers to come and join our team and discover our diverse and versatile community of independent spirits and unique talents, we are redefining the way you think about Milwaukee County!
Closing Date: September 27th, 2023
Department: Facilities Management
Hourly Range: $44.68
Summary: The Electrician under the direction of the Supervisor, will inspect, service, troubleshoot, clean, adjust, and maintain all existing electrical systems and assets to serviceable condition and also install new or replacement electrical systems and/or components when needed. Systems and assets include but are not limited to both high and low voltage systems for power, light, communication, and signaling.
- Electrical inspection & testing - Complete needed inspection & testing of all electrical system assets and manage records and reporting through the work order system.
- Electrical preventative maintenance, service & repair - Respond to and complete needed preventative maintenance, service & repair requests on all electrical system assets and manage records and reporting through the work order system.
- Emergency/Call-in response - Provide 24/7 emergency response on a rotating call-in basis.
- Contractor & Capital project assistance - Accommodate outside contractors working on department and capital improvement projects with supervision, support, and equipment power needs.
- New Installations and replacements - Complete needed new installations and planned replacements managed through the work order system.
- Other duties as assigned - Interact with other trade disciplines to accomplish department objectives and goals. Interact with the Building Automation System and other PC based control systems. Use electronic means to manage time reporting, continuing education and training, communication, and work orders.
- Current residency within the state of Wisconsin upon application required.
- A valid state of Wisconsin driver’s license at time of hire and maintained throughout employment.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Five (5) or more years of Journeyman Electrician experience.
- Ability to use software, such as email, spreadsheet, word processing and work order applications.
- The ability to lift/carry up to 50lbs and push/pull up to 75lbs on a regular basis.
- Pass a security clearance background check and maintain this clearance throughout employment.
License/Apprenticeship: Must possess at the time of hire and maintained throughout the employment:
- State or Federal Electrician Apprenticeship completion certificate
- State of Wisconsin Journeyman Electrician OR Master Electrician License
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of the standard practices, materials, and process of the trade; knowledge of power systems and application of electrical theory, principles, procedures, and materials as applied to high voltage systems; knowledge of electronic and solid state circuitry; knowledge of local and national codes and safety requirements; knowledge of instruments used to determine problems in all phases of electrical and/or electronic systems; skill in the use of tools, professional communication skills; ability to work in all weather conditions, ability to climb ladders, work at heights and in contained areas; ability to work without direct supervision; ability to work effectively and harmoniously with others.
NOTE: This original application is open to permanent residents of the state of Wisconsin at the time of application. In accordance with Section 11, Rule 3 of the Civil Service Rules a non-competitive examination will be held for this position. The non-competitive examination will consist of criteria deemed appropriate by the Director of Human Resources.
APPLICANTS MUST POSSESS MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AT TIME OF FILING APPLICATION
Milwaukee County is committed to fostering an equitable working environment, free from discrimination and harassment, on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. We prohibit any form of discrimination, harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, pregnancy related condition, national origin, age, disability, FMLA status, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, or any other category or status that is now or in the future protected by federal, state, and local law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements. If special accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
- Job Family 15 - Other
- Job Function 7 Skilled Craft Workers
- Pay Type Hourly
- Travel Required Yes
- Required Education High School
- Milwaukee, WI, USA