Zoo Grounds Worker
Interested in joining Milwaukee County? Milwaukee County is searching for authentic people who are out to change the game and bring their whole selves to work every day.
Milwaukee County oversees operations from our Airport, Behavioral Health, Child Support Enforcement, Combined Court Operations, Sheriffs Department, Community Reintegration Center, Human Services, Parks, Public Safety, Public Works, Fleet Operations, Transportation, and at the Zoo. Our departments are also dedicated to our Seniors in the Department on Aging, those with Disabilities, and Veterans Affairs. Our employees also remain committed to serve the cultural, human, recreational and social needs of the entire community.
Milwaukee County offers a wide variety of interesting jobs for people who want to make a difference in our community. Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefit package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If disability related accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
We are searching for Changemakers to come and join our team and discover our diverse and versatile community of independent spirits and unique talents, we are redefining the way you think about Milwaukee County!
Zoo Grounds Worker
Hourly Range: $16.76 - $18.67/hr
Job Summary: The Grounds Worker will preserve and maintain the Zoo’s outward appearance by keeping the Zoo clean. Mows and trims grass; works with snow removal; delivers animal food, animal bedding, and removes animal waste; and assists with moving of the Zoo’s animal collection.
Work Schedule: Ability to regularly work early morning, mid-day, evenings, and weekends as needed.
- General Cleanup of Zoo Grounds - Removes garbage from trash bins, picks up litter, and uses blower to clean walkways. Uses pressure washer to clean up stained concrete and to clean garbage cans.
- Snow Removal - Uses various snow removal equipment and shovels to remove snow from drives and walkways. Spread salt to prevent accidents.
- Leaf Removal - Uses various blowing and collection equipment to remove fallen leaves from the Zoo during the Fall season.
- Perform minor repairs of picnic tables.
- Assist in building and repair of wood fencing.
- Assist Horticulture and Forestry – Assist in landscaping, including spreading top soil, mulch, woodchips or other landscape materials in and around Zoo. Assist in the removal of fallen trees.
- Assist Vehicle Machine Operators - Assist Vehicle Machine Operators with food delivery, animal bedding, and animal waste removal.
- Attends meetings and completes all required training. On rare occasions, the Grounds Worker may be required to assist custodial staff.
- Properly and safely operate pickup trucks, golf carts, utility vehicles, forklifts, blowers, pressure washers, basic hand tools, lawn cutting equipment and snow removal equipment.
- Ability to lift, carry, push and pull up to 50 lbs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, License/Certification and Experience
- Current residency within the State of Wisconsin required
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Valid Wisconsin Driver’s License required and must be maintained throughout employment
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook programs required
- Previous grounds maintenance work experience preferred
- Previous work experience in landscaping or lawn services preferred
- Previous work experience in snow removal preferred
- Previous team leader experience preferred
- Previous work experience in general building maintenance preferred
- Previous work experience or ability to fix small engines or vehicles preferred
PG07 9500 RV
Milwaukee County is committed to fostering an equitable working environment, free from discrimination and harassment, on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. We prohibit any form of discrimination, harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, pregnancy related condition, national origin, age, disability, FMLA status, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, or any other category or status that is now or in the future protected by federal, state, and local law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements. If special accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
- Job Family 6 - Natural Resources/Parks and Recreation
- Job Function 8 Service-Maintenance
- Pay Type Hourly
- 10001 W Bluemound Rd, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
- Milwaukee, WI, USA