IT Director, Business Applications
Interested in joining Milwaukee County? Milwaukee County is searching for authentic people who are out to change the game and bring their whole selves to work every day.
Milwaukee County oversees operations from our Airport, Behavioral Health, Child Support Enforcement, Combined Court Operations, Sheriffs Department, Community Reintegration Center, Human Services, Parks, Public Safety, Public Works, Fleet Operations, Transportation, and at the Zoo. Our departments are also dedicated to our Seniors in the Department on Aging, those with Disabilities, and Veterans Affairs. Our employees also remain committed to serve the cultural, human, recreational and social needs of the entire community.
Milwaukee County offers a wide variety of interesting jobs for people who want to make a difference in our community. Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefit package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If disability related accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
We are searching for Changemakers to come and join our team and discover our diverse and versatile community of independent spirits and unique talents, we are redefining the way you think about Milwaukee County!
Closing Date: October 3, 2023 or upon the receipt of 50 application submissions.
IT Director, Business Applications
Information Management Systems Division (IMSD)
Full-time, Salary (hybrid schedule)
Salary Range: $ 114,566.40 - $148,948.80/yr
Job Summary: The IT Director of Business Applications is a member of the IMSD executive leadership team with overall ownership of the Milwaukee County IMSD application portfolio, which includes all facets of solution design, creation, delivery, maintenance support on both internal hosted and vendor provided platforms. This role directly leads application and data architecture and the associated governance and system development lifecycle (SDLC) processes. This role also provides direction and support for IT solutions that enhance mission-critical business operations. The IT Director works closely with decision makers in client departments to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of Milwaukee County.
- Application, System and Solution Strategy - Create the vision and set the strategy and direction for the application portfolio across the County. Accountable for application strategy and planning ensuring that the application portfolio is aligned with Milwaukee County business strategy. Formulate and deploy long-term plans for acquiring and enabling efficient and cost-effective information processing and communication technologies.
- Application Architecture Advancement and Governance - Define, establish, and govern an enterprise Application Architecture consistent with integration, synergy, and strategic objectives. Develop architecture processes, standards, templates, and components to ensure alignment between business strategies and IT domain roadmaps. Direct research on potential technology solutions and implementations in support of new initiatives, opportunities, and procurement efforts.
- Application Solutioning and Management Oversight - Develop, implement and govern application development standards; direct the delivery of application solutions and services using structured and managed SDLC processes. Accountable for application provisioning, support, maintenance and project delivery. Lead all development and support “competency centers". The specific centers are Enterprise, Geospatial, Healthcare, and Public Safety.
- Application Service Delivery and Support Services - Direct the team that provides the support and maintenance for the county Application suite including the development, implementation and compliance service through standardized task management and reporting tools.
- Development of Excellent Solutions Delivery and Support Services - Work with project managers to develop integrated solution delivery and project management methods into Solutions team. Direct development and execution of governance processes related to solution creation and delivery. Drive strategy, execution and interaction with 3rd party solution providers. Direct research on potential technology solutions and implementations in support of new initiatives, opportunities, and procurement efforts.
- Development of Excellent Solutions Delivery People - Primary responsibility for leading, managing and developing a team of professionals within the Solutions team. Coach, manage and mentor line management to promote high performance staff and a high performance work environment. Leads performance management process for Solutions staffs.
- Systems, Data and Application Integration Process - Develop architecture processes, standards, templates, and components to ensure alignment of methodology for data movement and data sharing between applications, environments and processes through collaboration with CTO and Enterprise Data Services. Conduct research on emerging products, languages, and standards in support of procurement, development, security, and integration efforts to for the EDS team to meet the needs of Milwaukee County, its business partners, and Open Data.
- Departmental Planning and Operations - Responsible for the overall budget and monitoring spend for this area. Works with Director of Governance and Business Solutions to ensure reporting, contract management and other business requirements are met. Develops, implements and monitors operational process improvement to increase quality service.
- Ability to push, pull, carry and lift up to 5 lbs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Information Technology, Business, Government or closely related field required
- Five (5) or more years of work experience in application, system & solution architecture, and development required
- Five (5) or more years of work experience in a supervisory, management or director role required
- Advanced knowledge of all related computer and software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Teams required
Note: This unclassified position is open to all qualified applicants authorized to work in the United States. The incumbent must establish residency in Wisconsin within six (6) months of appointment and maintain such residency throughout their incumbency.
Milwaukee County is committed to fostering an equitable working environment, free from discrimination and harassment, on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. We prohibit any form of discrimination, harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, pregnancy related condition, national origin, age, disability, FMLA status, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, or any other category or status that is now or in the future protected by federal, state, and local law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements. If special accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
- Job Family 1 - Financial Administration/General Control
- Job Function 1 Officials and Administrators
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required Yes
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Information Management Services Division, 633 W Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States of America