Arborist/Forestry Worker (Natural Resources Technician)
Interested in joining Milwaukee County? Milwaukee County is searching for authentic people who are out to change the game and bring their whole selves to work every day.
Milwaukee County oversees operations from our Airport, Behavioral Health, Child Support Enforcement, Combined Court Operations, Sheriffs Department, Community Reintegration Center, Human Services, Parks, Public Safety, Public Works, Fleet Operations, Transportation, and at the Zoo. Our departments are also dedicated to our Seniors in the Department on Aging, those with Disabilities, and Veterans Affairs. Our employees also remain committed to serve the cultural, human, recreational and social needs of the entire community.
Milwaukee County offers a wide variety of interesting jobs for people who want to make a difference in our community. Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefit package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If disability related accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
We are searching for Changemakers to come and join our team and discover our diverse and versatile community of independent spirits and unique talents, we are redefining the way you think about Milwaukee County!
(Natural Resources Technician)
Hourly Range: $25.66 - $31.50/hr
Closing Date: 10/15/2023 or upon receiving 50 applicant submissions
Parks Equity Statement: Milwaukee County Parks is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse work force that is demographically and racially representative of Milwaukee County residents. Milwaukee County Parks leadership is committed to honoring diverse experiences, perspectives, and unique identities, while fostering work environments that are inclusive, equitable, and welcoming.
The Natural Resources Technician is responsible for many aspects of the day-to-day land management essential to public safety within the 15,000 acres of the Milwaukee County Parks. While a majority of the work consists of attention to the 1.5 million trees in the system, the Natural Resources Technician is also responsible for maintaining the park system's hard surfaces, natural areas, landscaping and general construction.
- Tree Maintenance - Plants, removes, and maintains trees throughout the Milwaukee County Parks System. Maintenance consists of pruning, fertilizing, and treating for disease and insects. Respond to damage and hazardous situations due to storms and other natural events or accidents.
- Landscaping and Construction - Installation, repair, and maintenance of parks infrastructure including, but not limited to: footbridges, storm water laterals, catch basins, golf course drainage, and benches. Rough and finish grading. Establishment of turf and hardscapes.
- Hard Surface Maintenance and Repair - Repair and maintain the hard surfaces of the Milwaukee County Parks System, which include roads, parkways, parking lots, paths, trails, and walks. Maintenance includes crack filling, cutting, and milling. Repair consists of cutting, removing, and replacing with hot patch.
- Heavy Equipment Operation and Maintenance - Inspect, maintain, and operate equipment (skid steers, tractors, front end loaders), vehicle and trailers small to CDL Class A, and specialty equipment (lift trucks, tree spades, backhoe, and excavators). Includes snow and ice removal.
- Seasonal Crew Supervision - Supervising or acting as lead worker of seasonal crews responsible for plant health care, planting, and hedging. Crew will consist of peers and seasonal staff. Responsibilities include daily staff and vehicle assignments, and reporting status updates.
- Road Maintenance - Provide cyclical maintenance by removing accumulated debris from hard surfaces and catch basins utilizing specialized equipment (VacAll and Street Sweeper) for the 120 lane miles of parkways/roads and 126 parking lots.
- Natural Areas Maintenance - Assist Natural Areas staff by implementing large scale aspects of a management plan through heavy equipment operations or the need for multiple trained personnel.
- Operation of Tools and Equipment – Ability to safely operate vehicles over 26,0001 GVW, trailers over 10,001 GVW, heavy machinery, chainsaws, hand tools, power tools, rope and saddle, computers and standard office equipment.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.; ability to push and pull up to 100 lbs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, License/Certification and Experiences
- Current residency within the State of Wisconsin upon application required
- Valid Wisconsin Driver’s License required and must be maintained throughout incumbency
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Previous work experience in Horticulture, Arboriculture, Landscaping or Natural Resources required
- Wisconsin DATCP Category 3.0 (Turf & Landscape) Pesticide Applicator certification required or must be obtained within six (6) months of hire
- First Aid/CPR/AED required or must be obtained within six (6) months of hire
- CDL Class A with Tanker Endorsement (N) required or must be obtained within six (6) months of hire
Preferred Education, License/Certification and Experiences
- Associate degree or higher in Urban Forestry, Conservation, Parks & Recreation or closely related field preferred
- Wisconsin DATCP Category 6.0 (Right of Way & Natural Areas) Pesticide Applicator certification preferred
- OSHA 10-hour certification preferred
- International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) certification (Municipal, Climber, Aerial Lift or other specialists) preferred
- Tree Care Industry Safety Specialist certification preferred
Note: This Original Examination is open to current residents of the State of Wisconsin. The selection process will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods.
Milwaukee County is committed to fostering an equitable working environment, free from discrimination and harassment, on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. We prohibit any form of discrimination, harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, pregnancy related condition, national origin, age, disability, FMLA status, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, or any other category or status that is now or in the future protected by federal, state, and local law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements. If special accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
- Job Family 6 - Natural Resources/Parks and Recreation
- Job Function 2 Professionals
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $25.66
- Max Hiring Rate $31.50
- Milwaukee, WI, USA